re: Role players/Bench scoring

George wrote:

"The thing is that with a PF like Antoine you really need one of
the more physical 3's like LJ or Mason to make the lineup work"

LJ: 6-7 235
Mason: 6-8 270
Fortson: 6-7 260
[stats from cnnsi]

Although they seem to have LJ a little light, I think you get the idea:
we've already got that "physical 3". Unfortunately, he was rotting on the
bench during Griffin's absence in favor of Waltah, Cheaney, and Williams.
Does Fortson possess the same skills as the other two? Well, it's hard to
tell since we see so little of him (I heard right after the trade that he
has a 15 ft shot but have seen no evidence of it yet), but in his defense
Fortson is only 23 whereas LJ is 30 and Mason is 33. And doesn't Twon's
ballhandling and shooting skills help balance out Fortson?

I guess this is where the definition between a 3 and a 4 (and the fact that
Twon really IS a tweener) starts to play games with people's heads. I agree
with George that, yes, we need to play Twon on the blocks but I also don't
believe (and apparently neither does George) that Twon can effectively
defend or rebound against true PFs. Hence our need for a "physical 3" (i.e.
a short 4) to do those things.

"what do you do when you face a lineup like NY's with Sprewell at the 3?"

I guess you go strength against strength - try and force Sprewell to shoot
the fall-away jumpshot while we pound it inside right at Spree. Not an
ideal solution, but Spree can't run the break without the ball. Obviously,
you have to have Twon (rather than your "physical 3") chase Spree around
(didn't he guard Tim Hardaway last year? ;-)) but you also try to wear
Spree out with different looks/multiple defenders off the bench (Griffin,
Cheaney).

I don't think the problem with this team is with Twon or whatever player. I
think Dan was spot on with regard to the difficulties facing the bench
players (plus VP) and that a large part (but obviously not all) of their
inconsistencies stem from how (or if) they are used. I am starting to
believe that no matter who gets traded and no matter who we acquire, Pitino
will always find a way to play someone out of position or ask them to do
"more for the team" (i.e. something they're not well equipped to do). I
know that's rather depressing and negative, but I can't help feeling that
way after watching RP operate for nearly 3 years (Year 3, Game 45: Battie
"guarding" Mourning?!?). I hope I'm wrong; but I also get the impression
that it was exactly this kind of sentiment behind the Holley piece as well.
Holley wants what's best for Twon and he feels that getting far away from
RP is exactly that (unfortunately, I can't say I disagree with Holley but
it would be a great loss to the team). The piece struck me as a halfhearted
effort to convince RP that such a "divorce" would be best for RP too.

Luckily, NJ is one of those teams that plays without a real center or PF,
so Twon should be able to have his way tonight. -TomM