Boo

I went to the game last night and for a while I felt that the
atmosphere was a bit better than the last time I went to a game (San
Antonio) where Antoine was booed for just about anything. There were
still grumblings whenever he missed any shot that wasn't a fast-break
basket or tip-in, but there wasn't any outright booing. But in the
fourth quarter, after he missed the first of two free throws after
missing two free throws in a previous trip to the line, the boos
started raining down again. I have to say that this is the dumbest
thing I've ever seen a crowd do. I can understand why some people feel
the need to boo his three-pointers even though I think they're often
rather ignorant about it - they'll do it even if Antoine takes it with
the clock running out and the offense stalled. But on free throws?!
The guy busts his butt every game, shoots 70% on free throws this
season, is exhausted after back to back games (and played the entire
second half yesterday, and only got a minute break in the first half)
and gets booed for missing three free throws? Plus, I'm sure it really
helped him concentrate on making his last free throw when the HOME
crowd is booing him. He must love it here in Boston, with such
"knowledgable" fans. Let's face the truth, the Boston crowd doesn't
boo because it knows so much about good decision making. The crowd
boos because it loves to boo Antoine Walker. I'm amazed how he
actually called it "routine" treatment from the fans. It would be
routine if he was visiting Boston in a Lakers uniform and torching the
Celtics for 40 in a Lakers blowout win, which seems to be what the
local media is clamoring for, and maybe what the boobirds in this town
deserve.

Alex