Re: interim coach

In a message dated 12/15/2000 3:37:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jim.shane@alexstewart.com writes:

> How about Tommy Heinsohn as interim coach while they wait til next year.  It
>  couldn't hurt for the boys to get a dose of a multiple world champion
player
>  and coach for a while.  It would also probably lead to hiring a Celtic as a
>  permanent replacement for next year.  Comments ?

     I imagine many had thought about this, especially with Pitino playing
videos of Tommy's comments to the team.  But I have some concerns.  First,
Tommy may be obsolete, a coach who simply cannot relate to today's
players/corporate egos.  Didn't Bird quit in part for that reason?  And I
have often quoted McHale's comments about how winning is not high on the list
of priorities for today's players.  Second, after he coached the Cs, I don't
recall ever hearing anything about Tommy being offered other jobs.  That
gives me some concern, if no other team in the league was interested in him.
Why not?  Now maybe he did get some offers and rejected them, in which case
please ignore point #2.
      Other than that, though, why not?