Re:

>The game in Philly where they didn't call the foul on Pierce at the end. I
>would consider that a "rob" since he was fouled twice on the play and once it
>was totally obvious and it definitely affected the outcome of the game. I
>mean, you can miss the charges and illegal defenses and call 3 seconds
>inconsistantly and that can be attributed to a ref's discretion. But to make
>a nocall on a obvious hack on a guy going to the basket at the end of the
>game that affects the outcome, that's just stealing...

The thing with all those missed charges, three second calls and all
are that they effect the outcome of the games, too, just not as
obviously as the example you mentioned with Pierce in the Philly
game.  Still, I think you're right: I should probably use "robbed" to
describe those types of referee non-calls and the like.

I guess I have "issues" with the refs in the NBA -- things like the
preferential treatment given to "stars" or "veterans", the calls
being based on "respect" and not what actually happened.  Plus,
things like there's a lane violation on virtually every free throw
attempted in the league.  Why not call them?  It's like a couple of
years ago when they "changed" the rules -- seemed like the old rules
to me -- instead of just enforcing the (pretty good) ones they
already had.

Though the Celtics don't seem to get a lot of respect (or "love")
from the refs, and therefore few calls, they do beat themselves more
than the refs beat them.

Regards,

Bill, Celticus "tirdius"