RE: Walker won't work here... sigh

Joe,

Forget Jermaine O'Neil or Bonzi Wells. I use those names because they've
been talked about before. Let's just forget specific players for a second.

My problem isn't with what Toine said or Holley wrote. My problem is with
what it revealed about Toine-he didn't work out this summer like Pitino
wanted and has wanted for the past three summers. At some point you have to
stop excusing the guy, stop saying he's young, and stop waiting-and making
the franchise wait-for him to come around. Toine's lousy work ethic isn't
just about being in shape for the first 10 games of the season. Look at the
NBA these days. Look at the star players. There aren't any who look like
Toine. Not anymore. The best players don't just live in the gym, they live
in the weight room, and on the track.

Do I think Toine should be traded because of this latest spat? No, I think
Toine should be traded because he has shown a complete unwillingness to get
with the program. If he played for another team and someone suggested
trading for him, we'd all view him like Shawn Kemp or Vin Baker-lazy,
overweight and an underachiever. Do you think Cleveland or Seattle are
getting "fair value" for Kemp or Baker? No, but they realize that counting
on a player who continually lets you down does more damage to a team (that's
the important thing, isn't it?) than not counting on him at all. In
Cleveland, I'm sure they've spent the last two seasons saying, "If Shawn
just comes to camp in shape, we're a lock for the playoffs..." Sound
familiar?

So maybe it's Jermaine O'Neal. Maybe it's Glenn Robinson. Or Keith Van Horn.
Whatever.  The point is, it's time to move on. I don't want to hear about
another Toine-Pitino resolution. Toine is like Kenny in that he has learned
how to say the right things while all the time doing the wrong ones. You
read their garbage and you start to buy it. But actions speak louder than
words, and Toine's lack of action this summer has spoken volumes.

It's time for Pitino and the Celtics to move on with their lives. Let Toine
go somewhere else and waste his offseason, come in out of shape, fail to
improve on his fundamental skills, ignore the coach, play lousy defense and
shoot 40 percent. Believe it or not, I think the Celtics will survive.

Mark