Closing Window of Opportunity

The Celtic situation is pathetic. I don't know when I have ever been so down
on the Celtics. At when ML was here, it wasn't that far from the championship
years so I still had hope. Now, those days are so long gone. The Garden is
gone. None of the current players wants anything to do with that era.
Walker's comments on WEEI made it clear to me.

The Celtics are "losing Pitino" away from being one of those cold weather
teams (Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Washington) that no one wants to play
for. The Knicks and maybe the Nets will always have an attraction playing in
bigtime New York. The only thing the Celtics have to sell is Pitino and his
style. That is it. If he goes, it is game over, man. I have had plenty of
criticism for Pitino. But he is the only gimmick we got. Having a
tight-fisted owner hurts but I don't see why anyone would want to come to
Boston just to play for Bird the Owner. I don't see players making plans to
play for MJ.

We're toast, folks. Sure, we can get lucky at get a Duncan or Vince Carter in
the draft and turn things around. However, that is a crapshoot. It even seems
that Pitino has lowered his expectations to just being a good team instead of
a great team.

The bottom line is that two things must happen. We must end the Walker era.
We will always be a loser team when Walker and his attitude is your best
player. Will we get true value for him, I think so. Every coach if he is a
good one has to think that he can get the best out of him. But he doesn't
have the value that some people think simply because he is a risk. He isn't a
sure thing. His comments on WEEI indicate what a challenge he is. The saying
is that in college, the team takes on the personna of the coach. In the NBA,
the team takes on the personna of the best player. Well, unfortunately,
Walker is our best player although I think it should be Pierce if he would
step up. I think he will take over the team if Walker is moved. But until you
move that attitude, everyone else will take his "what about me" attitude.

Second, Pitino must go back to his pressing style. Whether it works in the
NBA or not, I don't know but I can only hope. Many players will like to play
that style because it allows for alot of creativity and playground style. But
it is the only gimmick that Boston can sell.

If these things are not implemented, we will be reduced to a feeder team.
Detroit, the Cavs, Washington, Chicago--what do these teams have to hope for?
Get lucky in the draft just to see that player leave at the first opportunity
to go to a winning organization or a warmer climate? The window of
opportunity is closing. I feel this is the last year that Pitino may be able
to sell his snake oil to the players on his system or it will be declared a
failure in the NBA. That is why he must press alot this year and we must move
out the square pegs. If not this year, then the only hope we have is to get
lucky in the lottery....

DJessen33