RE: Seattle Fire Sale?

--- Michael Griffin <mgriffin@rillc.com> wrote:
> Looks great from the Celtics perspective but not sure why Seattle would
> even
> sniff this deal.  I think we need to keep in mind that we wouldn't even
> get
> former all-stars in return for anything less than draft picks
> (unprotected)
> and pierce.  Williams and Cheaney couldn't make half the rosters in the
> league and Battie wouldn't make a few rosters and that is why he was
> traded
> for Travis Knight.

Salary considerations aside, WHOSE rosters couldn't Battie and Williams
make?  Or Cheaney for that matter (I'm curious to see how Calbert does
this year -- I'm not sure last season's complete lack of offensive
production wasn't an anomaly stemming from his wife's problematic
pregnancy)?  I'm not sure there's anyone on the Celtics' roster (apart
from McCarty, who at this point I might trade for Master P... or even
Eminem) who couldn't contribute on another team if given a better defined
role.  I bet that based on Battie's and Knight's respective performances
over the last two seasons, Jerry West regards that trade as a mistake.

Remember, we're talking about a former All-Star with a huge contract whose
production has dropped off even more severely than Cheaney's has in recent
years.  We're also talking about a player Seattle may HAVE to trade now.
I'd like to see what other offers they get for Baker.  Me, I'd rather take
a 24 year old 6'11" athlete with raw talent than a 38 year old Hall of
Famer who's going to give me 50 games if I'm lucky -- especially if I've
got no shot of winning a championship anyway.

And with all due respect to Paul M., there is no former All-Star for whom
I'd give up Paul Pierce, and there are some current All-Stars for whom I
wouldn't give up Paul Pierce.  Same goes for Walker.