Fortson Trade

My two cents:

A week or so ago, I advocated signing and keeping Fortson, and I am kind
of sorry that we won't get to see how he would have worked out in a
non-HMO (i.e., non-Headlesschicken Monkey Outbreak) defensive scheme.
Even so, I'm cautiously, mildly optimistic about this trade.  As others
have pointed out, neither the Knicks nor the Heat got Danny, and the
Celtics didn't lose him for nothing.  I would very much like to know
whether the C's get Utah's or Phoenix's pick (assuming Phoenix will have a
better year than Denver or Cleveland) -- I know I'd rather take a flyer on
an aging, reconfigured Utah team than on the Suns.  If Pack manages to
play 50 games and is anything resembling the player he was in Denver (a
phrase I'm sure Nets and Mavs fans have repeated many times over the last
few years), it's gravy.  [As for Hot Rod's role -- I wonder if he'll be
asked to sprout dreads.]

I'd rather have an extra pick in the 2001 draft than Chris Childs any day.

Another reason I don't mind losing Fortson is that I'm not sure his
strengths are what the C's really need.  Perhaps this was just a function
of the Cs' early season schedule, but I clearly recall that the C's
generally outrebounded their opponents during the first two months of the
season.  Of course, it's always nice to have a monster rebounder like
Fortson, but what the C's lack is solid interior defense.  Danny may bring
that someday, but he doesn't now.

I like what Bulpett is saying.  I believe the Celtics CAN win with what
they have.  Since what the Celtics have is a lot of young, raw talent,
winning will take a considerable amount of dedicated and creative
coaching.  AND ISN'T THAT WHY PITINO IS BEING PAID $7 MILLION A YEAR?

A truly great coach employs a flexible approach that takes into account
the assets and liabilities of his particular team.  A truly great coach
isn't married to a particular philosophy.  As much as I hate Pat Riley
(and think he's overrated, at least as a tactician), he got that.  He
played uptempo when he had the horses in LA, and got down and dirty when
he had the thugs in NY.  Will Pitino ever see that having Walter McCarty
jacking up threes is not an NBA offense, and that traps that result in
Dana Barros defending the post is not an NBA defense?

Please don't blow up this team, Rick.  Please don't squander ANY of the 3
picks you (OR YOUR SUCCESSOR) may have in the 2001 draft.  Build this team
around Pierce, Walker and a fierce commitment to BASKETBALL conditioning,
fundamentals and defense first and watch a thousand flowers (or at least
45 wins) bloom.

Michael Gooen

P.S.  Enough with the Jermaine O'Neal foolishness already.  What's the
difference between him & Bruno Sundov?

P.P.S.  Assuming you all are as sick of the Headlesschicken Monkey
Outbreak as I am, perhaps we can start a FleetCenter insurgency?  I can
only get up to Boston for one game a year, so someone else will have to
make the "JUST SAY NO TO HMO" signs.