Re: BSG Says It's A Blah Trade

For the most part, BSG's take is dead-on about this trade, although I think
the pick is a little more valuable than he does.

The one point I continue to disagree with BSG and Ray about is their
preference for Courtney Alexander in the June draft. This team needed
another one-dimensional gunner like it needs another assistant coach.
Alexander's one discernable skill, as far as I can tell from the scouting
reports, is scoring. He likes to shoot. So do Antoine and Pierce. Do you
take shots away from those guys?

The only value Alexander had to the Celtics, in my opinion, was if they
picked him and traded him. Apparently there were no offers that knocked
their socks off, so they took Moiso, a player who brings more all-around
ability to the team and has a higher upside. He may not score as much as
Alexander this season-I'm betting he won't-but he will contribute in many
ways, and has a chance to be outstanding.

And the idea that taking Alexander would have given the Celts more reason
and opportunity to resign Fortson is not a selling point to me. It didn't
work here. Don't compound it by giving the guy 7 years and $40 million (can
you believe that?) to be a foul-prone, no-defense, "give me my minutes" pain
in the backside.

Things worked out just fine, so far. Now let's hope Pitino and Wallace have
bigger fish to fry. When does Whitsitt return from Africa?

Mark