Trade discussions

Kestas said:
>  IMO, it's a good *small-scale* trade  that indicates some longer-term planning
> and salary-cap management on the part the C's front office. If Pack is healthy
> enough to play, he becomes the best all-around PG on the team. If not, he's off
> the cap at the end of the season. The throw-in Hot Rod doesn't cost Gaston
> anything, is also off the cap next year, and will most likely get waived; if
> not, he can be a shotblocking asst. coach for Moiso and Battie. Considering
> that we got the pick, didn't get saddled with a long-term salary, and traded
> Dana who didn't really have a place in next year's rotation, this looks like a
> positive incremental trade. Trades don't have to be major, blockbuster trades
> to be good, which is what these morons at sportstalk.com don't seem to
> understand.

Well said, Kestas!  Couldn't agree with you more!

Josh Ozersky said:
> I like Dana too, but his game really fell apart when his grandmother died,
> and has never been the same since.  When you can't depend on Dana Barros to
> score, you're in trouble, no matter what you're paying him.  And given what
> we were paying him, the guy was killing us, let's face it.  Also, despite
> Dana's consummate professionalism, it's not like he influenced anybody on the
> team.  I don't know if you can have a leader on this team not named Pierce or
> Walker; but Dana never took the onus of adult influence onto his shoulders.
> I wish him well in Dallas.

  I like Dana too and feel bad that he can't stay in his hometown, and hope
he finds ways to help Dallas with his shooting.  Maybe a change of scene is
what he needs in that being too close to hope might keep him reminded of
his depression of last season.  You're right.  He's too short to defend,
so unless he's regularly shooting lights out, he hurts us.

  Too many people focus on the stats of players when checking a trade, and
not what the team needs.  The Celtics need some veterans who the young
guys will listen to, especially veterans who'll have the ball in their
hands a lot, or veterans who've proven they how to play at a high level
in the NBA.  Judging the trade on those terms, even if Hot Rod doesn't
play a minute, and just gives Battie & Moiso some whuppings in practice,
he's fulfilled a great need.

  Anderson and Walker were at each other's throats right from
their first practices during the lockout before Anderson's first full
season with the Celtics.  There was a bit of a power struggle there which
might have toned down a bit recently.  Randy Brown, being from championship
Chicago teams, is one guy who Antione will listen to.  Pack is a point
gaurd who Kenny Anderson and Randy Brown can respect because he's that
good.  Having a guy like Pack playing even for just 30 games a season
will at least show the other guys how much fun the game can be when
you're unselfish.

  Look at it this way, would you rather have an awesome point guard for 30
games, or another mediocre point gaurd for 82 games?  I'll take the awesome
point gaurd for 30 games, because that's 30 more games than we're getting
now.  Also, if the Celtics make the playoffs, and the Celtics protect him
down the stretch to ensure he's healthy for the playoffs, the Celtics would
actually be able to play better than their playoff seed would indicate, and
might make it to a second round or further.

  But first things first.  Let's finish this deal, then see what kind of
attitude adjustment happens as these veterans come in and try to teach the
youngsters the tricks of the trade.

Jon Mc