what does Grant to Heat mean to Celtics?

OK, I don't even want to discuss why Cleveland would agree to this proposed
trade. They dump Kemp, fine. But for Gatling, Weatherspoon, Causwell and
Gary Grant? I wasn't as wild about the Heat's trade for Eddie Jones (I think
P.J. Brown and Jamal Mashburn are pretty good), but giving up their spare
parts for Brian Grant is unbelievable. Mourning, Grant and Mason up front,
Hardaway and Jones in the backcourt. Wow. And the Blazers add Kemp to a team
that should have won the NBA title. The rich keep getting richer.

Anyway, if this trade goes down-and it sounds like it will-it could have
implications for the Celtics. The Knicks suddenly figure to become much more
interested in Danny Fortson (although I don't understand their interest in
the guy to begin with). Maybe that leads them to pony up a little more than
they've been offering in a sign-and-trade. Would Eric Strickland get it
done? I certainly think so. Maybe he suddenly becomes part of the mix.

Here's a left-field suggestion: The Bulls probably will have to broker any
trade between the Celts and Knicks. We know from past stories/discussions
that Krause and the Bulls like Vitaly. How about some combination of Fortson
to the Knicks, Vitaly to the Bulls and Camby to the Celts. The Bulls could
send Ron Artest to NY (he's a NY kid), since the Knicks would never do
Fort-for-Camby, straight-up. The Knicks also would probably have to send
another player/contract to Chicago.

The Knicks have been willing to part with Camby in the right package; maybe
this is it. Marcus, despite the lingering hard feelings from his UMass
departure, is a natural fit in Pitinoball. He would fit right into a
frontcourt rotation with Blount, Battie, Moiso and Walker. The group may be
short on bulk, but they certainly would make up the most mobile, versatile
set of big men in the league.

New York gets the power forward it wants-or at least the second choice-and
brings Artest home. Chicago gets a center.

Of course, it's all just useless speculation. But the Grant trade may prompt
New York to push harder for Fortson, which is a good thing. We'll see.

Mark