Re: Potapenko trade

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 07:21:53AM -0700, Ryan Lee wrote:

> I used Miller as an example because he is not an elite
> center.

I reiterate that Miller is atypical as far as centers go. He's quick with
and outside shot and not much of a post game. Perhaps Rick should put
Moiso or Battie on him next year.

 >If V can't handle a second tier center,
then > what hope does he have of handling a premier center?

It's comparing apples and oranges. It's like saying "Vitaly can't handle
Steve Smith on there perimeter, so he can't be a good center". I'm sure
Vitaly would have no problem with the prototypical second tier centers in
the league(i.e. Joe Kleine, Dickey Simpkins, Olden Polynice).

 > Also Smits
and Ewing aren't the most
mobile of centers > any more.  V matches up very well with them because
> he's actually quicker than they are.

That's pretty much all of the Eastern conference right there with the
exception of Mourning. Unless Mutombo becomes less of an offensive
millstone.

 >V is a banger on
> low post D but I have seen him overpowered by Malone
> and Mason before.  But for the most part I guess V
> does hold his own down low.

Who doesn't get overpowered by Mason and Malone? Shaq maybe, but that's
pretty much it. You're holding Vitaly to too high a standard.

> Yes 10 million of the salary cap would be going to
> point guards IF we kept Kenny and Miller together.
> But why would the C's keep an overpriced and overage
> Kenny if they have a younger and better defender in
> Miller on the roster?

We're pretty much stuck with Kenny, unless we find a team that's really
desperate for a point guard or can package kenny with someone
else. Kenny's pretty much a known commodity around the league(i.e. no
upside).

> anything.  A veteran starter will tear up those summer
> leagues.  It's like putting a division 1 college

Noone's denying that.

> are stuck with his bloated contract, I truly hope
> he is in better shape and that he's been working with
> a shooting coach because I honestly can't bear

That's all anyone was saying, which was Walker's performance may be
indicative of better shooting next year.

Noah