Re: Fortson

>From: Jim Hill <jahill@netway.com>
>
>Everyone worry's about losing Fortson for nothing.  We got a good first
>round pick with him as well.  I can live with that in exchange for Mercer.
>I'd like more, but I can live with it.

You know what, Jim?  You're right as rain.  I would have liked more,
too, but that pick is going to be worth something substantial, I
think -- either a good rookie with potential or as trade value.  Who
knows?  Denver could blow big chunks over the next few years and we
could end up with a really nice draft position.

The more I think of it, the more I'm encouraged by the off season
moves.  Sure, we didn't get anything really special, no big-name
player to put us over the top.  Many teams did pick up that player
for themselves.  But we may have filled some pressing needs.  At
least Il Duce got some players that seem more like his kind of
players.  Randy Brown?  On the one hand, a older guy who might break
down.  On the other, a veteran presence that plays defense and can
actually distribute the ball.  Which will he more like in the
upcoming season?  Only time can tell.

Plus, as you posted, and Jim Mennino keeps mentioning, we're in
really good shape for next year.   If Pitino leaves or feels he needs
to shake up the team, we'll be able to do that.  If our guys improve
and we just need to add pieces, so much the better.  Are we
contending for a championship in the next three years?  No.  Are we a
solid playoff teams in three years?  Quite possibly.  The quick fix
ain't gonna happen.  The focus shouldn't be on player acquisition,
but on player development.  What would it be like if most of our
players reached close to their potential?  Eventual championship.

>Fortson + ? for Mashburn?  I could live with that also.

I am not a big fan of Mash, but this would be sweet.  We get rid of
one of our less-than-spectacular swingman-types (the "?") and get a
guy who could really help us, as you said.  Only, I think Charlotte
needs someone to fill E Jones's scoring.  Maybe if they trade for
Rice, though... .  I guess we'll see.

Great post, Jim.

Bill
--