Re: eerie quiet

>From: "Michael Griffin" <mgriffin@rillc.com>
>
>EPSN reported
>Croshere has agreed with Indiana on a 7 yr 51M deal.  That is extremely rich
>and let him stay in Indiana for that kind of money.  That is crazy money for
>what I believe is an unproven commodity.  Is the NBA turning into the lotto
>where you have to pay crazy money for players who are not even all-pros
>(Croshere,McGrady) yet?

That's a lot of money to pay for Austin Croshere.  I guess dreams
that he would sign for the exception were just that -- dreams.  I
think the NBA is exactly what you said -- teams overpay for unproven
players.  In a sense, though, they almost have to, because there's
always going to be some team willing to overpay some guy, so supply
and demand requires that you pay that guy more than that in order to
keep or get him.  And it's about the dreaded "upside" or "potential"
too: "This guy could be really good, so let's pay him an obscene
amount of money."  As you say, that's a great reason to hold on to
picks -- those guys are trapped in a 4 or 5 year deal for reasonable
money.

>Boy all that talk about being aggressive may end up being lip service.
>Unless Pierce is traded - the changes may not even be considered cosmetic.

I think we're going in to next season with basically the same bunch
of guys, plus Brown/Vaughn/Coles (one of them), Blount, maybe another
CBA/summer league guy, and maybe another "free agent" (maybe an
exception signing, or a return on a Fortson sign-and-trade).  Our
best bet for a quality player is probably the Fortson sign-and-trade,
just because it seems the talent you're getting for the $2.2mil
exception is weak (though Pitino and Wallace are talking about
signing one of the backup points to the $1.2 exception, I think they
might end up with the higher exception instead).  Chris Childs?
Vinnie Del Negro?  Yikes.  (To be fair, I guess Childs isn't so bad
from a talent standpoint, but he probably makes more than we want to
spend.)  A guy like Adonal Foyle would be sweet, though it appears as
if he will resign with the Warriors, or his teammate, Dampier.  Let's
just hope that (for our sake) Fortson really _won't_ take the
exception on another team, so we actually might get something for
him, or resign him ourselves (though in that case, he still wouldn't
be used, so what's the point?)

I fervently hope that three of four of our returning players have
improved their games in a big way.  Otherwise, we won't be seeing any
post-season action at all ... again.

Regards,

Bill
--