Jersey Red Pontificates

               Ken Ford  - Herald News -  4/26/00

               I'm hearing that there is another side to the saga that
saw four
               members of the Providence College basketball team get
arrested for
               beating up two fellow students and I expected that to be
the case.

               I'm also hearing that the in-house inquiry will result in
big time
               suspensions of all the players involved.

               ***

               How about Toronto Raptors'coach Butch Carter.

               First he claims in a newly-released book that he heard
Bobby Knight
               call a player the "N" word which was followed by a host
of
               African-American players saying that they never heard
Knight use the
               word.

               Now Carter is suing former UMass and current Knick player
Marcus
               Camby for $50 million because Camby called him a liar.

               If I were Butch, I'd put everything else on the back
burner while I was
               still coaching a team in the playoffs.

               P.S. Nobody likes this guy.

               ***

               If you want to know what the Celtics need to make it to
the next level,
               watch the NBA playoffs. Watch the defense, watch the
rebounding and
               watch the shot blocking. As Ross Perot would say, "it's
that simple."

               The Portland Trailblazers, while loaded with talent, will
go as far as
               Scottie Pippen can bring them. He's a veteran with a
handful of rings,
               and in my opinion, one of the most uneducated players in
the league.