Re: Interviews

----- Original Message -----
From: "Amy Beauregard" <amyeb88@yahoo.com>
To: <celtics@igtc.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2000 8:27 AM
Subject: Interviews

> Yeah, I heard Chris Wallace. He also said he hopes to
> keep Danny Fortson in Green. The way he is talking you
> can almost see the sinking ship moving on without him.

I listened to the interview and agree that it's a foregone conclusion. If
Fortson is still here next year, it would be only 1) because of a new
management (not likely); 2) or because they couldn't unload him in a
sign-and-trade for anything of value (they aren't exactly in the best
position after the Fortson-Williams/Marks fiasco) and didn't want the
fallout from losing him for nothing *and* could sign him for cheap. Even if
(2) applies, I really doubt it, for Pitino clearly dislikes Fortson and he's
still, ahem, in charge. Who needs rebounding and toughness, if you can have
Waltuh "The Body*" McCarty chicken-pressing oponents into submission before
they even get a shot off, right?

* I think now that the original "Body" has retired to a cushy government
position, Waltuh should claim the rights to the nickname. After all, he does
have a very special type of body, one that somehow escapes the same physical
and biological processes that take place in the rest of the living creatures
on this planet.

> Also heard Pitino last night say that he "may" follow
> through on his threat to walk away after next year if
> no playoffs/progress. Sounds like Mrs. P took a look
> at his tax filing and say to stay the course :( More
> Pitinioisms "I meant it when I said it...". Finally,
> Gaston is "100% behind" Pitino and a title can be won
> "staying within the cap".

If it's true, there goes the Gaston-as-a-good-businessman thesis. Like
Holley said today in his column (his first on the Celtics, I think, since
the "Pitino has failed" column months ago), "how many season-ticket packages
do you think the Celtics will sell for 2000-2001 if the same characters
[i.e., Pitino's gang] return?"  The TV ratings are already dismal, and the
*Celtics* certainly are not selling out the FleeceCenter, although
occasionally their opponents come close.

> I, therefore, am looking for
> Twoine and/or Pierce to be traded, as PP will be
> looking for the max. Btw, Vince Carter will be exposed
> when his "vets" decay and retire in the next two
> years. Not that I disrespect him, just disagree he is
> light years of PP, as some here suggest.

Carter's light years ahead of Pierce in terms of his entertainment and
marketing value to the league. He's not light years ahead of Pierce
otherwise, but he is better - every statistical category except for steals
suggests so. However, it doesn't mean that Pierce didn't improve, or more
ridiculous yet, regressed, from last year, as some folks here have
suggested. His points, overal FG%, FT%, steals and assists are up. His
rebounds, blocks, and 3PT% have dipped somewhat, but he's a much more
composed, complete player, who has developed a pet move
(upfake/step-under/midrange J), and increased his FTA/game from 4 to 6. He
has made progress - it's just that it pales in comparison with Carter's
ICBM-like ascent.

> Get rid of RP
> and you'll see improvement.

The same goes for every rotation player on the team, save for McCarty
(because he'd be gone). Does anyone seriously think that Riley, Jackson,
Bird, Rivers and most other NBA coaches wouldn't get more out of this team?
Oh, never mind, I think I can answer my own question - these guys just
happened to take their jobs right before the teams they took over
miraculously "matured" and improved by leaps and bounds, right? Some people
just have success come to them by luck alone, while others have to actually
*choose* it to become successful. So, my question is, is this Pitino's
definition of success, and if not, why hasn't he chosen to be successful in
Boston?