Sportsline: Anderson Annoyed with Pitino

Celtics team report
Updated 2:37 PM ET April 14, 2000
SportsLine.com Report
April 14, 2000

Believe Rick Pitino and the Celtics are running smoother than the Good
Ship Lollipop? Look at the facts and you see an organization in complete
disarray. Players questioning playing time and begging out of town. Then
there's the ever-present rumors that Pitino will be the first to leave
town when the season's over.

Yes, all the signs of turmoil are in place now that the Celtics have
been eliminated from postseason contention and rumors are rampant that
coach Rick Pitino won't be back.

The latest stirring of the pot comes from point guard Kenny Anderson,
who isn't even among the top 20 assist leaders in the NBA. Anderson, who
entered the season averaging 7.3 assists a game in his eight seasons in
the league, is disgusted with his slide down to about five dimes a game.
He says he knows why it's happening.

"That's obvious,'' he told USA Today. "I don't initiate plays in our
offense. I don't dominate the ball. That's Rick Pitino's decision. I
wish I had the ball more. That's not a knock on anyone. It's just the
system, the makeup of the team.''

In the Boston system, forward Antoine Walker often handles the ball. In
a 99-94 victory against Atlanta on Monday, Anderson scored 24 points
with three assists, bringing his four-game averages to 24.8 points and
5.0 assists.

"I don't buy into that at all,'' countered Pitino. "He (Anderson)
handles it plenty. (Walker) will bring it up now and then when we have a
lot of pressure. But that's not the reason why he (Anderson) doesn't
have a lot of assists.''

But Pitino wouldn't elaborate on why Anderson, who averaged 9.6 assists
a game playing for New Jersey in 1993-94, isn't averaging more assists
this season. He consistently has said Anderson has done everything he's
asked.

Now, Anderson's asking why Pitino hasn't asked more.

"There should be no doubt that I am a pass-first guy. I'm just hoping I
can get back to being me this fall," Anderson said. <snips>