Wednesday, April 12, 2000

Hey Celt,
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BOSTON CELTICS TO HONOR NATIONAL CHAMPION ROXBURY C.C. ON WEDNESDAY, APRIL 12

BOSTON (April 11) – The Boston Celtics will honor the newly crowned Division 3 Junior College National Champions, the Roxbury Community College Men’s basketball team, at halftime of Boston’s game versus the Orlando Magic at the FleetCenter on Wednesday, April 12.

The Roxbury C.C. Tigers sealed their first-ever national title by beating Chicago-based JUCO power house College of DuPage, 103-79, in last month’s finale. The squad, 11 of whom are from the Boston area, entered the NJCAA tournament as the fourth-seed, but shocked the nation’s number one seed, Gloucester C.C. of N.J., 61-55, in the semi-final before capping its championship run with a victory over the No. 2 seed DuPage. The team finished with a 33-2 record.

Latin Academy graduate Treamine Skeens was awarded the NJCAA MVP award, while Bilal Abdullah, a graduate of East Boston High School, led the Tigers with 29 points in the tournament final. Jamaica Plain’s Ka’Reem Horton and Sharod Campbell, a graduate of Boston English High School, also posted impressive tournament statistics.

“We have been able to get a good group of kids, almost all of them local, to come here,” said head coach Malcolm Wynn, formerly a coach at Brookline High. “Once we established that we were a no-nonsense program and took everything seriously, including the classroom, we took off.”

-CELTICS-

Green2k.....Basketball for the Next Millennium!

For more detailed information visit the Boston Celtics Official Website:
http://www.bostonceltics.com
To modify or deactivate listing, please click on - http://enn7.enewsnotifier.com/wwwroot/Celtics
Topics: Season Tickets,Group Sales,Community Relations News,Press Releases,Action Packs - Mini Plans,Single Game Specials,Season Ticket Holder News/Info,Special Events