ex-Celtics...or an ex-Celtic-killer

If and when Pitino packs his bags, I hope we don't settle for the "best
available ex-Celtic." Go get the best guy for the job. I don't know who we
all think that will be, but let's not make being a former Celtic a
prerequisite. Does anyone really get excited about Dave Cowens, Paul Silas
or Dennis Johnson? I love Larry Bird, but I honestly believe he walked into
the perfect situation with the Pacers. He took over a veteran, powerful team
that had been beaten down by a demanding coach (Larry Brown) and was
desperate for a lighter touch. He has done a great job in Indy in the same
way K.C. Jones did a great job with those great Celtic teams of the 80s.
(But does anyone else here think if Riley was coaching the Celts and K.C.
the Lakers, Boston would have won five times in the 80s and L.A. three?)

I'll throw out a name to start conversation: Isiah Thomas. He's this year's
"hot young ex-player" just like Doc Rivers was last year. Rumor has it he
can have the Hawks job if he wants it. Think Toine and the rest would
respond better to a guy like Isiah? You know, I'm not just going to throw
the name out there, I'm going to endorse it. Isiah was a guy who "didn't get
it" until midway through his career. Maybe he can speed along that process
with our young studs.

Any thoughts?

Mark