so that's what it's supposed to look like

Did anyone else watch Florida these last few weeks and realize that's what
the Pitino system is supposed to look like? It's not perfect, and even when
it's working, it's not beautiful basketball. Last night's Florida defense
looked suspiciously like our Celtics' defense.

I found this quote from Florida point guard Brett Nelson especially
interesting: "Billy Ball is controlled chaos. We run, press and get up and
down the floor. We get everyone involved. It's unselfish."

Two things there: Controlled chaos. It's not about style points. Some harp
on shooting percentages and the like with the Celtics, but go back and look
at the percentages from Pitino's Kentucky teams or Donovan's Florida teams.
They don't make high percentages. It looks ugly, but it works. It's
unselfish. This is where I think the Celtics have a problem. It's not just
Walker or Pierce, and I really don't even think selfish is a good word. It's
just that the Celtics are a team of "ball-stoppers." When Walker, Pierce,
Anderson, Vitaly, Battie, Eric Williams or any of them get the ball, it
usually results in a face-up, "let's see if I can beat my man 1-on-1"
stare-down with a defender. The ball stops moving, the rest of the players
stop moving, and the defense is set. Billy or Pitino-ball depends on ball
and player movement, things our collection of players lack.

Does it work better in college? I don't know. It certainly works better when
your second five routinely matches the output of your starting five, like
Florida (don't get me started on the Celtics' bench again).

Mark

P.S. What was everyone's opinions of the future NBA players in action last
night? Personally, I think Florida freshman Donnell Harvey eventually will
be the best of the bunch. He reminds me of a young Chris Webber-it's hard to
believe this guy was competing against high school kids a year ago.
Cleaves-great collegian, and I love the guy's toughness and leadership, but
will be nothing more than a decent NBA player. Would be a nice backup for
the Celts. Peterson-ballhandling really scares me. Good shooter and athlete,
though. Mike Miller-great talent, but a lousy performance last night. Needs
to improve his jumper, but handles and passes well for a 6-8 player. Looks
like a solid small forward starter in the NBA.