Steve K. - I would suggest that when people criticize "the Pitino style"
they're not just talking about the full court press, but also his constant
coaching from the sidelines -- his management style, if you will.

Ray - You're probably right that Pitino isn't as high on Battie as some of us
are ... and probably with good reason. His excellence in the Fila Fakers
Summer League should mean absolutely zero; I'm confident there are people on
this list who could have gone for 30 in that wannabe league. So, you're really
looking at a handful of games during which he shone. He should have to prove
it over a whole season; as you say, though, there's the risk he'll do the Ron
Mercer thing and threaten to leave if not re-signed. He'd have to be willing
to take less money, but as you also point out, Shandon Anderson did. One other
thing, I'm sure Battie's run in with the law probably did nothing to endear
him to Pitino or Gaston. (For myself, I hope we re-up both him and Fortson.)

And Daniel - Isn't "the KU band" the one that plays in Phog Allen Fieldhouse
during Jayhawks games?