Fw: The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest V6 #393

Fellow, Celtics Fans,
I've read most of the mailing list digest and have come to the conclusion
that some of people who are active at the site have some good basketball
knowledge, while others ... let's just say that I'm glad that they are not
making the personnel moves for the Celtics!

Potapenko Trade:    Hands down, the Celtics came out better than Cleveland.
Andrew was an 11th man at best on any Championship team. As for the #1,
which many praised the point guard Andre Miller was the answer, please!
Miller may in fact turn out to be a 'good' pro. But after Richard Hamilton
was selected at 7, Miller and the next level of talent was average at best.
What would Miller do to contribute immediately?  Wait until he's having to
guard Iverson or gets guarded by Jalen Rose or Sprewell.  Potapenko is super
strong, won't punk out to the Eastern intimidators (see Charles Oakley, see
Alonzo Mourning),  has a nice 8-10' baseline jumper, puts that butt on
someone when clearing out, will deliver in pressure situations, will
'consistently' work hard to get better (check out his work ethic over the
summer), and will quietly average at least 12 points and 7 rebounds without
a 'I-gots-to-get-mine' attitude.  Potapenko may not be an All-star or even
'starter' (NBA Championship team) material.  However, he will be far more
effective than Andrew DeClerqc and a rookie!

Mercer Trade:  Let me get this straight.  There are those of you who believe
that the Celtics got screwed in thew deal.  Yeah, right!  If Rick ever broke
it off in someone ... he did it to Denver.  Mercer, Popeye, and a piece of
Shitinus for D Fortson, E Williams, E Washington, and a future #1 .... Rick
... this Bud's for you!  Mercer is coming off of an improved year and will
eventually be a solid player.  Popeye is damaged goods.  Dwayne is
weak-foreign-league material.   However, anything above $3.5-4.0 Million per
season would have been too much for Mercer.  Six year - $71 Million for
Mercer?  Mercer and his Master need to quit dreaming.  Danny Fortson is
already a much better rebounder and offensive threat than Popeye.  Fortson
is also super strong with a big butt for clearing out like Potapenko.
Compare Mercer to both Eric Williams and Eric Washington.  Mercer is
definitely a better midrange shooter and consistently makes the
pull-up-off-of-the-pick shot.  Mercer, though, will not draw near the
contact that Williams can, cannot stroke the three nearly as consistently as
Washington, and both Eric's play much better defense.  Add in the fact that
Denver has to deal in contract talks with P and throw in a future Lottery
pick ( Denver is going nowhere soon ) ... looks as if Denver got 'roughed
up' a bit!

As for trading A Walker:  Let's give the guy a break.  If he shows up
overweight, then run the pants off of him ( I'm sure Rick will ).  The
Celtics should not trade Walker unless he becomes a detriment to his
teammates.  Walker does not need to develop a Scottie Pippen or Karl Malone
type of body.  What Rick should tell him is to play a Magic Johnson type of
game.  If Walker could do for the Celtics what Magic did for the Lakers,
then the quest for another NBA Championship is on the horizon.

As for the Tim Duncan and Grant Hill Free Agent Sweepstakes next season:
Tim Duncan is going nowhere.  San Antonio will resign him and he'll end his
career with the Spurs.  Grant Hill, though, will probably bolt the Pistons,
unless he gets traded to a team who he's agree to an extension with.
However, if there is any cap room available to get him next season ... DO
IT!  He's a triple-double threat every night and plays hard all of the time
on both ends of the floor.  A winner, a class act, a piece to a
Championship.