ESPN Message Boards: Very Few Sports Fans In New England Care About The Celtics

                  ESPN Messgae Boards
                  Very Few Sports Fans Care About The Celtics
                  In New England....
                   Posted by: New_England (260 Msgs)  5:34PM PDT, Sep 19, 1999

                  We hold this truth to be self evident: The C's
                  are off the radar screen for most Pro Sports
                  Fans in the New England area, finishing fourth
                  behind the always laconic Bruins. The interest
                  just isn't there for the Green Team, a byproduct
                  of the post-Bird malaise, being lottery bound
                  for so many years, lacking a true superstar like
                  a Drew Bledsoe, and the emergence of Pro Football
                  in the New England region.

                  And frankly, it doesn't look like things are
                  going to change any time soon. What with the
                  dynamic and surprising play of the Patriots,
                  and the scrappy over-achieving, we-love-to-root-
                  for-them Boston Red Sox, another area team that
                  fields a legitimate superstar in Pedro Martinez.
                  In fact, they have two superstars, if you rightfully
                  count Nomar.

                  The C's sadly lack anyone that can be considered
                  a true impact player, near or at the top level
                  of their sport. Possibly, if the ever-screwed-
                  up Antoine Walker gets his act together, he could
                  emerge, but at the present time, he's viewed as
                  as one of those spoiled athletes, a not very
                  likeable talent, given to petulant displays
                  of unsportsmanship. No Pedro, Drew or Nomar is
                  he, screeching at referees and engaging in
                  ball-hoggedy dispays of selfishness.

                  Perhaps, Paul Pierce could be the answer.
                  He possesses more of a fan friendly nature than
                  Antoine; he had a terrific rookie year, and
                  from what I've read during this off-season, he
                  has diversified his game, and also acted as a
                  ambassador for basketball across the planet.

                  And there is always Player X.

                  Whom is Player X you ask? He's whatever superstar
                  Pitino eventually trades for. And trade, Trader
                  Rick shall, for we all know, in his heart of
                  hearts, there is one benchmark deal lurking
                  in the future. One trade that will define his
                  tenure as GM, as much as acquiring Alonzo
                  Mourning did the same for Mr.Greasy Hair in
                  Miami.

                  We look forward to the day, when the C's will
                  once again compete in the upper echelon of Boston
                  Pro Sports. At least it would make listening to
                  WEEI more tenable....