Re: On Hoops (GM) Article Ranks C's 4th Best For Off-Season Moves

>From: RSMALL@clarku.edu

>But why bring up Mercer at all.  They weren't Evaluating the move, they
>were blaming Mercer for Walker's play.

This is the whole reason I replied to you in the first place.  How can you
say the article wasn't evaluating the Mercer/Fortson trade?  Do you think
they ranked the Celtics' off-season 4th best in the league on the strength
of the Adrian Griffin signing?  Feel free to disagree with the reasoning all
you want, but I don't see how you can say that Mercer's play is not relevant
to that discussion?

>Mercer shot a better percentage but he's taking shots he can't make and
>Walker isn't.  He didn't chuck up three's, but did take sime of the worst
>shots of drives I have ever seen.  It just sounds like an excuse for
>Walker's play.

OK, now you're getting into the details of the article, which I have no
particular desire to defend.  They contend that the Celtics will be better
off because they have picked up rebounding and strength, while giving up a
medium range shooter.  Further (the part you seem to have a problem with),
that it will benefit the team (specifically Antoine) to remove one scorer
(Mercer) from the starting lineup as long as you're replacing him with an
outstanding rebounder.  Like I said, I'm not going to tell you (like Josh
Ozersky might) that you're an idiot if you don't agree with that.

>I'm running out of time (I have to pick up my kids)  We can continue
>tomorrow.

As I said, I don't really have any interest in going over the trade again.
We pretty much covered that.  I was just hoping to make you see why talking
about Ron Mercer's game, and it's obvious limitations, is certainly relevant
to any discission about how much the Celtics improved themselves this
Summer.  That will be all from me on the subject.

Jim