Per highcheese site

 The Inquisition continues: Now it's Bird vs Pitino
9/6/99
by Jebidiah Jackson, Boston Celtics columnist
The Celtics just can't stay away from the spotlight even when it doesn't even
involve a Pitino trade rumor. Larry Bird has a new book out and some parts
have been released to create the controversy necessary to make the book
attractive to the Jerry Springer crowd. The juiciest part appears to be on
whether or not Pitino offered Bird a job in his new regime. Pretty boring,
huh. However, the local contributors to your fishwrap seem hellbent on
catching Pitino in a lie. So on with the inquisition.

Bird has always been known as a straight shooter. There was never any BS
about him. Therefore, any revelations that appear in Bird's recent book will
be taken as gospel. Pitino is no Clinton. However, he could be guilty bending
the truth a little to emphasize the positive. We have to remember that this
book was written from Bird's point of view. Some times things aren't always
what they seem. Let me give you an example:

Larry: Rick, we sure would like for you to come and coach the Celtics for
next year, maybe even be our GM.

Rick: I don't know, Larry. I love the Celtics but like I told you before I am
happy right where I'm at.

Larry: Well, we sure could use ya. The organization is a mess.

Rick: Well, I tell ya. I am not going to get into another situation like I
had with the Knicks. I would have to be calling the shots. I would probably
have to dump all of them, except of course, Red. I would also like to have
you stick around, maybe as a assistant coach? But like I said before, I'm
happy where I'm at right now.

Now in this interchange, one could conclude that Larry would be offered a job
if Pitino took the job. However, another could conclude that this is thinking
out loud and no job was actually offered.

Now, if Pitino and Bird sat down together and worked out what
who-said-what-and-when, I would think a logical explaination could be worked
out for all partys. Just like the previous misunderstanding between Red and
Bird where, after it was talked out, really wasn't a misunderstanding at all.
But that is too logical.

All in all, in a few years, it isn't going to matter anyways. Pitino is going
to sink or swim on his own record. I actually feel a little embarassed that I
feel the need to defend him on such a silly thing. I have to say that I'm a
little disappointed that Larry has demonstated such unCeltic-like behavior by
airing Celtic dirty laundry that is barely two years old in an existing
regime. But right now this junior high stuff sells books and newspapers. And
people in an inquisition need charges. And, I guess, Larry needs some new
golf clubs...