Re: Cofman: Vitaly May See A Lot Of Fouls

Vitaly Potapenko certainly comes across as a bright kid in the Cofman article
previously posted. In fact, all of our young players seem well spoken. I hope the
East stays relatively weak over the coming few years. The young Celtics need to
start winning regularly enough to develop confidence and an initial grasp of how to
win consistently.

I think VP can look forward to several more shot attempts per game, as should Paul
Pierce. My sense is that teams will rarely double team VP or Toine in the paint
because our new power forward (Fort) and shooting guard (Pierce) can punish
defenders that allow them to choose their offensive rebounding spots in the paint.
It only takes a split-second with your back turned to forfeit critical paint real
estate to any offensive player with a real nose for caroms. If all goes really well,
the Celts could average slightly more total shot attempts and points than last
season. Suddenly we are no longer rooting for one of the softest, finesse teams in
Celtics history. It was nice at times to watch the flashy and ultra athletic team
personified by Mercer (a truly elegant player obviously) but it just didn't seem
like Celtics basketball. It was fairy ball.

Kenny and Barros (and Cheaney) all should receive a fair number of open mid range
jumpers off the kick out pass. Kenny raised his FG% to a career high level last
season by drilling virtually every open catch and shoot from the corners of the free
throw line. Incidentally, I think Kenny also has a decent nose for rebounds and
loose caroms, certainly better than Potapenko. You'd think his obvious strengths
(very low turnovers, spectacular ball handler and penetrator) would balance his
weaknesses, but so far that's hardly been the case.

Any word on the official start of training camp? There must be a league and union
mandated starting date. It could be as soon as next week I would think.

Go Celts!

Joe

---------