      Boston Herald

      Vitaly's plans may run afoul
      by Mark Cofman
      Thursday, September 9, 1999
      Vitaly Potapenko is looking forward to his first training camp with the
      Celtics. After arriving via a trade one month into the lockout-shortened
      season, he also looks forward to playing a normal 82-game schedule.
      But Potapenko is not without his concerns as he prepares for his first
      full season in Boston.
      The 6-foot-10, 285-pound center known for his rough-and-tumble style is
      aware that the NBA's crackdown on rules governing post defense could
      adversely affect his game.
      ``There's no doubt I have to make some adjustments to the new rules,''
      said Potapenko, who has been working out the past month at HealthPoint in
      Waltham, the Celtics' training facility.
      ``The league is trying to keep the games from getting too physical,
      especially down in the blocks.
      ``They want to open things up for more offense - take away some of the
      physical tactics used to defend. That means the referees are going to be
      calling fouls they have not called in the past.''
      Which begs the question. If Potapenko was foul-prone while officials took
      a look-the-other-way approach in the past, how can he expect to avoid foul
      trouble now as the NBA presents a kinder, more gentle product?
      Potapenko has tried to address the issue in his offseason regimen.
      After committing 38 fouls in eight games (184 minutes) in July at the FILA
      Pro Summer League in Long Beach, Calif., he knew something needed to be
      done.
      ``I've been working on my footwork a lot this summer because I know that's
      going to be a big part of the adjustment for me,'' he said. ``What it
      comes down to is learning how to guard your man without cheating.
      ``The league wants to see players using the fundamentals of defense
      instead of pushing, shoving, kicking, elbowing - all that stuff.''
      All that stuff that has helped Potapenko survive during his first three
      NBA seasons. Toughness, strength and the occasional well-placed elbow will
      remain necessary tools for big men. The league's most physical players,
      Potapenko included, will simply have to choose their moments to bang a
      little more carefully.
      ``In a way the new rules put more emphasis on your physical strength,''
      said Potapenko. ``The stronger you are, the less you have to rely on
      things that will get you into foul trouble. I think I'll be able to make
      the adjustments.
      ``I'm looking forward to having my best season.''
      Potapenko's optimism is partly the byproduct of the Celtics' new-look
      frontcourt, which added considerable depth in last month's six-player deal
      with Denver.
      Danny Fortson, the league's fourth-leading rebounder last season, will
      give Potapenko much-needed help on the boards.
      Antoine Walker will operate against smaller opponents as he shifts from
      power forward to small forward. Tony Battie is the team's best
      shot-blocker. Eric Williams, part of the Denver deal with Fortson, and
      Walter McCarty will provide bench strength.
      ``I think we have a lot more flexibility in the frontcourt than we did
      last year,'' said Potapenko, noting that Fortson, Walker, Battie and
      McCarty can play multiple positions.
      ``We have forwards who can hit the boards and run the floor. Having both
      is a big plus.''
      Particularly if the man in the middle is producing and not saddled on the
      bench in foul trouble.
      Potapenko, 24, beginning a six-year, $31 milion contract, knows he's one
      of the keys to the Celtics' season.
      He's prepraring himself accordingly.