"gypped"

"gypped" is in fact taken from "gypsy."  But since
there seems to be so little animus or for that matter
contact with gypsies any more, it has lost its
meaning.  (Although there are probably still gypsy
enclaves in parts of New England.)  For what it's
worth, gypsies historically were highly deserving of a
term meaning "to swindle,"  and probably considered it
a compliment within their own value system.  Unlike
racist epithets that presume inbred character flaws,
gypsies were a highly insular society whose folkways
proudly and explicitly endorsed swindling, theft and
prostitution -- much like the Irish "travellers," who
live together as an organized crime enclave.  You can
be romanian without being a gypsy, but you can't be a
gypsy -- at least not an unassimilated one -- without
being involved somehow in the gypsy lifestyle.  That
is my understanding of it, anyhow.  No doubt some
grandson of gypsies currently attending Tufts will
maintain that their reputations have been blackened.
;)