Looking back to 97-98

I've talked about how I feel that a better comparison for this upcoming
season is the relatively successful 97-98 season rather than the
disappointing lockout-influenced 98-99 season. Here are a few things
that I'm reminded of as I look back.

1. The abysmal preseason. Judging by the 1-7 preseason that year, you
might think that the Celtics would win about 15 games. Even the one
win came after Chris Mills' breakthrough game, 7-9 from the field for
19 points, after which he was traded, so you could argue by "Ray
reasoning" that it wasn't really a victory. The point is that the
preseason record means nothing. We could just as easily have won
the OT Charlotte game and the one point losses to Utah and Washington
and have finished 6-2 in the preseason. It just gives the coaches time
to tinker and the fans a chance to get a preview of the players and
the team, but the record means nothing. Personally, I watched a couple
of the games on tape (and will watch a few more this weekend) and came
away pretty optimistic, and those were games without Fortson.

2. A superior home record. The Celtics were a 24-17 team at home in
97-98 and 12-29 away from home. Compare that with last year where
they had a 10-15 record at home and 9-16 away - a one win home court
advantage that was the worst in the league. I would guess that the
reason was conditioning; when you are an uptempo, pressing team like
the 97-98 Celtics, the home court is going to make a big difference
because the home team tends to be better rested and can feast on teams
on those 6 game road trips. On the other hand, when you are not in
great shape, like the 98-99 Celtics, and furthermore have the fans
booing your top player constantly, you are not going to get that
home court edge. I believe that Pitino's second year Knicks team had
a great home record. And how many true home games have the Celtics
had this preseason? Two, I believe, and they were 1-1, losing to
that very strong Charlotte team. I think the home court will be an
advantage again this year because the team has depth, is in shape,
and will press often.

3. Playoff contention. The Celtics were in playoff contention until
mid-March 98 when a six game skid ended any chances of a postseason spot.
The current Celtics just have to stay in contention until Fortson is
back at full strength and he should provide the boost for them to
cruise into the playoffs. Even without Fortson, they are a deeper
and more experienced team that the 97-98 team. The important potential
difference will be Walker's play: can he return to his double-double
form on 97-98? If not, can Pierce step up to the All-Star level?
Or can Anderson become a premier point guard again? We really just need
one player to take his game up a notch.

Alex