BOB RYAN

Here I go again.  Please bear with me, but I feel strongly enough about this to again try to make some of you understand.  I'm not from Boston, I'm from Vermont - but we did live in Boston for some time when we were first married and have followed the Celtics since the mid 50's.  We have many friends in the greater Boston area and most of them are Celtics fans, too.  Bob Ryan is not a racist - and maybe he does wish things were the way they used to be - many of us do, in many ways - I can only speak for myself, but I don't think of Mercer and Antoine as black - merely as people.  Their demeanor to me was that Mercer was respectful and low key - he was there to play basketball, not to show off before he proved anything.  I liked that and I admit it, but he could have been white, it wouldn't have mattered.  It's the attitude about the game they're getting paid more money to play than most of us will ever see in our lifetime that makes the difference.  The money should not be the important thing - but it seems to be, with at least 80% of professional sports figures now.  Well, with the big bucks it costs to get in to see these people play a game of basketball, I think the fans deserve to get their money's worth.  If any team is playing the game as well as they can, if they play the team game, if they give it everything they have and if they respect the fans, then they're good people.  Color doesn't matter, and well it should not!

If you want to talk about immature - the statement made on this list that Bob Ryan hates Antoine Walker was about as immature as it gets.  Hate is a very strong word - and certainly not called for in this instance.  Bob Ryan, like all of us, recognizes the raw talent that is Antoine Walker's.  If he ever reaches that level of maturity necessary to play at the level he's capable of, people will then respect him.  It just seems to be taking a long time for him to get there.  The longer it takes, the more hopeless the situation will become.  The wiggle doesn't bother people nearly as much as you might think - it's the foolish shots, the missed foul shots, the refusing to work in the summer on his game, which leaves one with the impression he doesn't think he needs to, he's so good.  That may not be correct, but it's an impression and he keeps giving out these impressions.  When he's interviewed you hear all about him and what "he" needs to do or is doing.

The Celtics were a dynasty - perhaps the greatest in sports.  That will never be duplicated.  Just because it's still the Celtics the rebuilding is no easier than for other teams - in fact it's more difficult.  We've been spoiled by all the years of greatness.  All the great Celtics teams were great because they played as a team, together.  No one player, no matter how good, can win without the whole team.  That's what it's all about.  Bob Ryan is no different than most of us.  He just wants things to be better, as a fan.

I'll fold up my soap box now and wait for the flames to start.

Dorine