Re: Lot to be happy about

Dan Forant Sr wrote:

> Celts played very well last nite. How can a coach play a starting guard
> (Jones) for 50 minutes in an exhibition game.

Thanks for that summary (which I cut, however). Yes, the starter minutes seems
without question to be a very unorthodox and maybe reckless approach to the
preseason by Paul Silas. If I'm not mistaken, Anthony Mason also played
something like 43 minutes in the first game, and 37 last night off the bench.

Even the 1987-90 Celtics -- with a roster that was basically only five starters
deep -- gave long pre-season playing time to the Brad Lohaus' and Kevin Gambles
of the world.

Personally I hope the Celts trounce a Mailman-less Utah, even with  tired legs.
They need to be rewarded in the win column for all the unselfish passing they
have done thus far, or else it will seem like a waste of time. There's nothing
quite as nifty as the backdoor pass at Kentucky circa 1996. It was like
watching the Princeton offense but with the video tape on fast forward.

I'm hoping Pierce and Antoine can build on their performance last night at
their new positions, rather than return to their inconsistent (Toine) or
tentative (Pierce) ways. Mason and Jones are way above average defenders who
keep your hands full on both ends, so it was a good test. I've gotta admit,
Eddie Jones seems like he's an ideal NBA player with his well-rounded
statistical contributions and precise shot selection. Jerry West made a mistake
trading him, just as he did trading Battie for Knight.  Battie would likely be
a 30 minute per game contributor on that team right now (or even last year's
team). The Flakers look far worse on paper than they did at the start of last
season.

****