Re: Early returns

> Subject: Early returns
> Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 11:48:47 -0800
> From: peter delevett <pdelevett@amcity.com>
> To: Celtics <Celtics@igtc.com>
>
> I know we've only had 2 preseason games and that this is therefore a very
> premature message, but I just wanted to share some thoughts and elicit ideas
> from others about who has thusfar earned the right to play, and where they should.
>
> Walker: Is still shooting like crap. Doesn't seem to have changed his approach
> one bit, which is troubling when this is supposedly his make-or-break season.
> I'm totally confused why Pitino insists on playing him at PF. Pitino's already
> hinted about stripping him of the captain's title.

He was also conversing with the officials last game. Old habits never
die.
Pitino is a hard one to figure. There's a fine line between genius and
insanity.

 > Fortson: Rebounding machine, and also has a great attitude. Deserves
minutes
> if for no other reasons. He's also hitting his free throws. Questions about
> defensive ability (not desire) may hold his minutes down.

Has a real difficult time getting his shot off. The C's need a big man
instructor
for their frontcourt.

> Battie: Ray and Peter May keep raving about him. Can he be effective at center
> alongside Fortson?

Battie is a drifter. You have to start him and give him a few looks
every now
and then to keep him effective. Much better if teamed with a bulky type
like
Fortson or Pot rather than Walker. Still needs to hit the weights.

> Pierce: For a guy who has been "lost" in his first two exhibition games, he
> shot the ball awfully well against Atlanta and also had 3 blocks. Would like
> to see him hike that steals number again. I'm not worry worried about Pierce,
> only where he plays, and considering our dearth of other alternatives at
> shooting guard I peg him for that spot.

Pierce always plays within the flow of the game. He should see the ball
more
than Walker, since he's a more proficient shooter.

> Eric Williams: Has gotten consistent raves. I still like him as a bench scorer
> rather than a starter; he'll get plenty of minutes if he keeps this up.

Eric is being showcased - take it to the bank.... Having said that, the
new rules
seem to particularly benefit someone with his first step quickness and
slashing
ability. If he only could translate those skills to the defensive end.
You can already chalk Williams up as a Pitino reclamation project
success.
Since Pitino averages 2.5 of these a year, who will the other 1.5 be?

> Kenny: Statistically, there's nothing to knock. Complaints about not pushing
> the ball still linger. Would Pitino actually bench or trade him in favor of a
> guy who can't shoot but will defend and push?

He's being showcased too - He will eventually be traded. Playing better
only
brings that day of atonement closer...

> Turner: Nothing but good things so far, but can a kid who can't shoot from
> beyond 8-10 feet start in the NBA?

Sure, because he penetrates, ballhawks, knows Pitino's system, and
pushes the
ball up the court better than most players in the NBA. Plus there's the
inevitable Anderson injury.

> Cheaney: A total waste so far. Looks like he's picking up here he left off
> last season. We need him to rediscover his shooting touch.

He's trade bait. If he doesn't come around, he'll just be written off as
an
another veteran that couldn't play in Pitino's system.There's been a few
of them.
But, there are several teams out there that need a backup guard: Utah,
Miami,
Indiana, Cleveland... So they should be able to get something decent in
return
for him.

> Griffin: DNP against Atlanta, nice production vs Charlotte. Peter May loves
> the kid. Same question with Turner: how much do attitude, work ethic and
> intangibles count? If Cheaney struggles, Grif might actually get some minutes.

Griffin or Washington or both will be the designated phony illness
recipients.

> Washington: Despite his reputation as a stopper and three-point bomber, has
> done nothing so far to justify keeping him around.

All 14 players with the team are sticking according to what I read. Give
Washington a chance.

> Wal-tuh: An enigma. Decent production so far. Still can't see him getting
> anything more than spot minutes, but maybe he's got some kind of fire in the
> belly this year.

What? Pitino considering starting him or Williams from what I read
today.

> Pervis: Soo-PRISE, soo-prise, Sgt. Carter. I refuse to pin any hopes on this
> guy staying healthy; Washington might ask him for help moving a table when he
> gets cut.

Will be injured again. Maybe they can deal him off before it happens.

> Vitaly: Really bummed about this. He seems to have taken a stride backward,
> maybe because he's confused about his role. I thought he was the best backup C
> in the league with Cleveland.

With Walker at power forward and the need to play Battie/Fortson/give
Pervis
a few minutes, Vitaly is trade material, except for the fact, he's base
year
compensation and the Celtics can only bring back someone making half of
$4.5 million salary.

> Dana: Incomplete grade. Will be nice if he can come back and play like he did
> at the end of last season.

May see some time at shooting guard and handy for when Kenny exits via
injury or
trade.

> Minor: There is a better chance of Greg Odegaard having lunch with Josh
> Ozersky than of Minor suiting up for the Celtics this season.

His agent doesn't feel that way, but you know agents are there to put a
positive spin no matterhow dire the situation.
Ray