Re: Post scoring?

> This is the one point where I absolutely think the
> coaching staff has its head up its ass.  Vitaly
> Potapenko should never be more than five feet from the
> basket.  I have no idea why he is floating around the
> perimeter, setting picks, and receiving passes.  The
> halfcourt offense should totally be run through him.
> He's the kind of player who needs lots of touches in
> his comfort zone, and he's damned effective when he
> gets them.  You don't have to be the best player to
> have the offense run through you -- I hope that's
> something that Russell lets Pitino know.

I don't know if Vitaly really has the hands, vision, or
passing ability to deserve having the entire halfcourt
offense run through him. And what's wrong with having him
set picks on the perimeter? This is the job of tough
brutish players like Potapenko. It helps the team by
freeing up the perimeter players to get an open shot or
cut to the basket and also creates opportunities for
Potapenko to roll for a shot or cut.

I don't think the Celtics are going to be an effective
team by throwing the ball into Potapenko every time
(although I think it should be one of their plays) and
waiting for the double team or letting him take his man
one on one. He's not a passer on the level of Sabonis or
Divacs or Mason, nor a scoring machine on the level
of Olajuwon or Barkley. It's also not the best use of
the remaining personnel, who would presumably spot up
behind the three point line.

I think we have to accept Potapenko for what he is:
someone who can play man-to-man defense on the big
centers in this league, a big body to block out, and
enough of an offensive threat to keep the opposing
center honest. He'll be an option on offense that
will sometimes be able to get his defender in foul
trouble, or give you 15 points. But I don't think
that any NBA team runs its offense through him.

Alex