Turner article on the Globe

Turner's taking his best shot

By Peter May, Globe Staff, 10/11/99

WALTHAM - You look at the numbers and you say, ''What's the big deal?''

You look at his form and you say, ''Now I get it.''

Wayne Turner's name was not called in June's draft, mainly for one reason:
Teams worried about his ability to make outside shots. Turner did shoot 49
percent over four years (and an NCAA-record 151 games) at Kentucky, but
most of that was because of shots within 15 feet.

But oh, that form. Bill Walton and Jamaal Wilkes both had nasty looking
shots, but John Wooden never did a thing with them because the ball went
in more often than not. Turner is another story.

''It's tough to look at,'' Celtics coach Rick Pitino admitted.

The Celtics are working with Turner to improve his form and his range.
Assistant coach Andy Enfield, whose specialty is shooting, is basically
starting from scratch with Turner, who in college actually shot the ball
from the left side of his head. (He's a righthander.) That won't do here.

''Wayne's form was probably the most unusual I've seen,'' said the
ever-diplomatic Enfield. ''With a guy like Wayne, you take what he has.
He'll never have perfect form, but you've got to adjust it to where he can
make shots. It is starting over in that he'll have a completely new
shooting form when he's done. But there are small adjustments every week
he can make to get closer to that form.''

Turner has heard this before. ''I know. It's my form,'' he said with a
shrug. ''I had a manager work with me at Kentucky. I'm going to shoot in
my range while I work on my form. As the year goes on, I'll move on.''

In college, Turner was, according to Pitino, a lock from 15 feet and in,
especially off the dribble. Turner also knew where not to shoot from, which
is why he maintained a high percentage.

''I've had players whose forte is not long-range shooting and all they
tried to do was prove people wrong and take long-range shots,'' Pitino
said. ''This young man, he knows his range is 15 feet. So he gets to 15
feet. It's almost like Oscar Robertson. Oscar Robertson would never shoot
3s. He'd get to where he wanted to have his shot. That's what Wayne Turner
does. In the interim, what we're trying to do is get him to 17 feet. And
if he gets to 17, 18 feet, he keeps everyone else honest. And with
everything else he does, he's a wonderful point guard.''

That's the ultimate payoff. Good-shooting point guards are rare in the NBA
and Turner does all the other point-guard stuff quite well. He is a good
penetrator, he gets the ball to the right people, and, above all, he is a
relentless defender.

''That's the main reason I'm here,'' Turner said. ''My fire is still on
defense. I believe in getting in your face. And defense like that, most of
the time, wears guys down and brings out the fatigue.''

He was also a gamer and a winner at Kentucky. He has two NCAA title rings
and appeared in three straight championship games. He played in 21 NCAA
tournament games, third most in history. He left Kentucky as the school's
all-time leader in steals. None of that, however, made him appealing to
the NBA, which kept seeing that form and wondering how he ever could survive.

No one's surprised he ended up in Boston. He's a native (although that's
not always a good thing). He knows Pitino and vice versa. He even knows
some of his teammates - he played a year at Kentucky with Antoine Walker
and was in the same high school class (read: AAU camp buddy) as Paul
Pierce. He knows all about Boston roads and Boston drivers.

So there wasn't any trouble adjusting to the city. The big adjustment is
in the gym, daily. It's a monumental makeover, but one everyone believes
is worth the effort.

''When you change like that, as big a change as he has made, it will take
some time,'' Enfield said. ''It's really up to him how long that will
take, whether it's a few months or a year or two.''

Bill Russell's anticipated arrival yesterday did not materialize. Pitino
said Russell's red-eye flight was late and everything was moved back to
today, when Russell will work with the big men. Pitino said he didn't know
how many times Russell would stop by to work with the team. ''It's up to
him. Anytime we can get him, we'd love to have him,'' Pitino said. ''It's
not like the players don't know what Bill Russell has done.'' However,
the coach said Russell primarily would be involved in the marketing end
and he added he hoped others, like Dave Cowens, would be interested in
doing the same ... Dana Barros and Pervis Ellison both were back at
practice. Pitino has decided to end the two-a-days because everyone is
in shape. ''Normally in two-a-days, one of those is for conditioning,''
he said. ''But we're in great shape.'' ... Pitino on new bruiser Danny
Fortson: ''I think he'll be in foul trouble [with the new rules]. I think
Vitaly Potapenko will be, too. But we have five legitimate frontcourt
players this year so we can withstand foul trouble.'' Those five would
be Fortson, Potapenko, Walker, Tony Battie, and Ellison.

This story ran on page F04 of the Boston Globe on 10/11/99.
© Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.