Re: Expectations

>From: Josh Ozersky <josh_ozersky@yahoo.com>
>
>I missed the two losses on Friday and Saturday.  For some reason, I'm not
>really that worried.

I'm sure those two statements are not completely unrelated.  I watched both
games, and I don't know what to think.  As I watched the Bucks hit, what was
it 14-18 field goals in the fourth quarter, I was thinking, "well this team
is just on fire and there's nothing you can do about it".  I mean, the
Celtics seemed to be playing defense.  Robinson, Allen and Cassell made some
very difficult shots look easy. Guys were hitting with hands in their faces,
aside from the usual assortment of layups given up once the pressing starts.
  The problem was, it seemed, that the Celtic offense simply stalled.
Completely.  I tried not to worry about it, but I was genuinely depressed.
I knew it was going to be a tough game the next night.  Anything could
happen.  They could get blown out.  They might even win, after all, Atlanta
had played in Detroit the previous night.  "It'll be fine", I thought, "as
long as they don't do the same thing they did last night".  I don't know, it
just felt like it was going to happen again.  Especially when they came out
so strong in the first quarter.  Pierce was hitting everything.  That's a
bad sign.  When he gets like that he starts thinking anything he throws up
will go in.  Then he misses a couple and the confidence just evaporates
before your eyes. Another troubling sign is that Kenny isn't playing as well
as he was the first couple of weeks.  Early in the season it seems that he
was going to push the pace, and if the rest of the team didn't keep up, he'd
just take it in himself.  He's not driving so much (is he listening to Dan
F. who wants him to take it easy to stay healthy or have the defenses
adjusted to take away the penetration?), and his outside shot was never
going to fall that way for the whole season.  I still believe this is an
above .500 team, which is all I wanted from them, but it seems they may get
there in a different way than I expected.  They showed more talent early on
than I thought they'd have, but I expected more consistency.  Thinking about
it, after 14 games they've only played one really bad team, and they lost
that game, so .500 is not a bad start.  The question is are you encouraged
that they seem to have good talent, but lack the ability to put games away,
or do you see these losses as wasted opportunities that could put them in a
hole that makes the playoffs a long shot?  I'm still optimistic.  I still
see a few games over .500 and the playoffs.  But, am I a little bit worried?
  You bet.

Jim