Big 3

<<P.S.  A query for all you b-ball historians out
there.  Several duos have been termed Twin Towers
before Tim & Dave.  Chamberlain and Thurmond, Webster
and Cartwright, and also Sampson and Olajuwon come
to mind. How come Parish and McHale didn't make twin
tower status?  Aren't they almost exactly the same
size as Duncan and Robinson?  And roughly as good?>>

Not sure whether I qualify as a basketball historian,
Bill, but let me answer anyway.  I half agree with Mr.
Byrnes on this one.  Parish and McHale WERE the equals
of Robinson and Duncan.  Robinson may have the slight
edge on Parish because he's a better passer; I'd
discount the other, gaudier stats because it wasn't
the Chief's function to carry the offense.  If
anything, the Chief was a better clutch performer.
Duncan is so similar to McHale at his peak that it's
frightening, which is one of the many reasons it's so
unfair that Timmy isn't wearing green.

Consider this list:  Wayne Hightower (or Tom
Meschery), Campy Russell, Rodney McCray, Sean Elliott,
Larry Bird.  As they say on Sesame Street, "Which of
these things is not like the other ones?"

Parish and McHale aren't considered Twin Towers solely
because they are considered 2/3 of the greatest
frontcourt in history.

As for last night's debacle, I'm inclined to agree
with Cecil.  IT'S ONE GAME.  Every team in the NBA has
nights like the Celtics did last night -- even the
1985-86 Celtics got slaughtered at home by Portland.
The trick is not to have to many games like it.  I
don't think anyone would argue that the Celtics are
yet in a class with the NBA champs; the hope is that
they get there eventually (probably after the Admiral
is decommissioned).  After the last few years, I'm
more than willing to settle for a mere playoff team
(at least one that gets there on the backs of 23 year
old rising stars, and not aging has-beens).  A real
test will be whether they can bounce back tomorrow.

I suppose Ray will use last night as an argument to
trade half of the Cs' roster for that estimable
"inside presence" Shawn Bradley (anybody know his
success rate against Duncan and Robinson?).  Or
perhaps Mo Taylor, whom I'm SURE could shut down both
Tim and Dave by himself.  And as for Mr. Forant, he
probably would've been calling for KC Jones' head
after that Portland game.

By the way, one of the most annoying things about all
of the Way/Forant backbiting is that nobody's been
giving Bill Cooper the praise he continues to deserve
for his consistently thorough game summaries and
insightful analysis.  You rule, Bill.

And can we lighten up on Cecil, please?  Sure, his
country's money is practically worthless and looks
ridiculous, but let's judge him by what he posts here.
 He clearly knows basketball and he's clearly a real
Celtics fan.  He's got strong opinions, and while I
may not always agree with him (though I frequently do)
his posts are always interesting to read.  And isn't
that what this list is all aboot?

Finally, one of the reasons I'm so happy to see Adrian
Griffin in green is that Dorine finally has somebody
to root for again.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

Michael Gooen