Re: Walker for Van Horn?

I don't buy this trade.  Walker may not be my favorite player, yet, but he
will continue to get better.  I am seeing a positive attitude by him this
year.  Much much improved.  I don't think he has his "place" on the floor yet.
 When he defines his position, starts coming into camp in great shape and as
long as he continues progressing in the team environment he will be a big time
player.  I want to win as much as the next fan, but to trade Walker for anyone
but an under 30 superstar is crazy.  The core of this team is around what, 23
years old?  Over the next 5 years the Celt's WILL get a young point guard, a
7' center/shot blocker and a few
"on-their-last-legs" stars who want a ring (See: Walton) to come off the bench
and add the depth needed to win it all.  At that point the core group will
still be only 28 years old!  The Celt's will be able to contend for it all
over the next 5-6 years.

Look at the pieces so far accumulated by the Celt's:

VP: A young, strong center who will continue to improve.  Will he be an
all-star? No.  A shot-blocker? No. But you need someone to bang with the big
boys in the middle, in the playoffs.  Keep them out of the paint on defense is
his role.  Can also shoot and moves well for someone 270 lbs.

DF:  All indications are that he is a rebounder who can also bang.  Need those
offensive rebounds to win.

AW: When he plays in the paint he has the skills to go around most anyone or
pass to the open shooter.  Once he is in shape he will be able to get off the
floor and over the rim.

PP:  He'll be fine at the two and open the floor with his outside shooting.
Can rebound from the two as well as pass the ball to the right person.

KA:  Will become an elder statesman to the new lottery-pick point guard we get
in the next couple years.  Will bring it off the bench in a couple years.  If
he is healthy not many second string pg's will be able to match up.

AG: So far unbelievable.  We'll see what he brings over the next two years.
Seems to add the element to a winning team with his smarts.

TB: He shows flashes of skills.  Stay or go, the Celt's won't lose on that signing.

CC: He will contribute, has some stability.  Pitino needed to sign him to show
the other FA's that it's not so bad to play in Boston.  Give him some time to
fit in, he has skills and gives us back-up at two positions.

PE:  It he had the heart to play the last few years he would have helped.  He
will contribute, next year will be for short money or he is gone.

DB: Instant offense, usually.  Local guy who has earned some loyalty from the
Celt's.  He will be traded or re-signed for reasonable money.  He can
contribute for a couple more years.  Works hard, no fear.  Doesn't hurt to
have leaders on the bench.

EW:  Will be traded if possible.  Has some skills, may help settle AW down
some and get him into working out.

WM: Not sure about him.  A true team guy, can play 3,4,+ 5 over the next few
years.  Three more years to get to a position.  If the 5's in the league stay
skinny will see more time at 5 in the less important games.  Seems to be
trying to defend the other teams 3 by height and moving his feet.  If he
develops a low post game in the next couple years could be a sleeper.

Subtract your 3 or 4 least wanted players and replace them with 2-3 drafted
players and a veteran or two and you have a hell of a team over the next 5
years.  Give them some time together and enjoy the improvement over the next
few years.

Pitino hasn't done as bad as people think.

<Jim