Re: Domon Jones

> Isn't all this talk about our third-string point guard a little
> overblown? How many GM or coaches get accused of trying to tank
> a season based on the signing of a third string point guard or
> for that matter a sixth big man (Conlon)? These are guys that
> will end up playing almost no minutes unless there are injuries.

On the face of it, I do think these late cutting and signings are kind of
reckless or casual (although I have no idea who else better was available this
late in the day). Pervis and Fortson have so far been injured or out of service,
so Battie is the only remotely serviceable backup power forward AND center on the
roster. The Celtics don't really have a true backup pointguard, either, depending
on your opinion about Barros (whose bound to get better soon IMO).

> I think that the main reason why Pitino chose Overton over Turner,
> Damon Jones, Garnett, Ollie, or whoever else is because Overton
> has 352 games of NBA experience. You don't get great pickings
> when you're picking up minimum wagers off waivers.

Doesn't the new collective bargaining agreement guarantee a much higher "middle
class" wage for veterans based on NBA length of service? Overton is a 7th year
player, so I've assumed he signed for a lot more money than Griffin, although I
could be wrong (maybe there is a loop-hole of some kind).

> You just need
> someone that's not going to hurt the team. Turner on the other
> hand has just about no experience, was not considered by any
> team as even worthy of a second round pick, and looked terrified
> against Muggsy Bogues and a bit lost at other times. Even the
> CBA team who drafted him decided it didn't need him. It's not like
> Pitino wasn't well aware of Turner's capabilities when he decided
> to cut him. He recruited him at Kentucky, he coached him for a
> few years, he saw him in the offseason and in the summer leagues.

In fairness, when the coach who is most familar with Turner's game abruptly cuts
him from the team after two games or whatever, it's bound to send up warning
flags to other teams. Pitino's actions have made Turner virtually unemployable,
regardless of whether or not he has the talent to play. I'm really not sure what
happened here. Pitino should have made up his mind much sooner on Turner, or
waited just a little longer until the kid had fully recovered from his minor
preseason injuries (he missed a few games) and gotten over his early season
jitters. There must be something more to this story, or else Pitino wouldn't have
been so COLD (as Chauncey Billups said).

Joe

****