Re: Domon Jones

Isn't all this talk about our third-string point guard a little
overblown? How many GM or coaches get accused of trying to tank
a season based on the signing of a third string point guard or
for that matter a sixth big man (Conlon)? These are guys that
will end up playing almost no minutes unless there are injuries.

I think that the main reason why Pitino chose Overton over Turner,
Damon Jones, Garnett, Ollie, or whoever else is because Overton
has 352 games of NBA experience. You don't get great pickings
when you're picking up minimum wagers off waivers. You just need
someone that's not going to hurt the team. Turner on the other
hand has just about no experience, was not considered by any
team as even worthy of a second round pick, and looked terrified
against Muggsy Bogues and a bit lost at other times. Even the
CBA team who drafted him decided it didn't need him. It's not like
Pitino wasn't well aware of Turner's capabilities when he decided
to cut him. He recruited him at Kentucky, he coached him for a
few years, he saw him in the offseason and in the summer leagues.