Our little secret is starting to get around

I went to on-hoops to see if the registration is open for fantasy hoops yet
(it's not.  Isn't it the second week of the season down under?), and noticed
the two most recent articles.  One was about how the Raptors are much
improved (didn't we just kick their asses?) and the other was about Adrian
Griffin.  Of course we already knew it here, but it's nice to see him
getting some (inter)national attention.

Jim

  The Man's Name is Adrian Griffin

November 9, 1999, Greg.

Chuck's Note: This is Greg's orgasmic ode to the newest Celtic find, the
NBA's answer to Kurt Warner...
The Celtics are going to make the playoffs.

No, I'm not high and I'm not a homer who would say that even if a ham
sandwich were in their starting five (something M.L. Carr considered during
his tenure). I'm saying that because the Celtics made what might be the most
significant roster move of the offseason:

They found Adrian Griffin.

Last year's Player of the Year (CBA player of the year), Seton Hall product
Griffin had two years of minor league hoops and a cup of coffee with Miami
last year before sticking with the C's this summer. He's now the starting
small forward and believe me, he's worth moving Antoine Walker to Power
Forward and Paul Pierce to Shooting Guard and keeping them there. He's that
good.

Here's his statline from the Celtic's 103-100 win over Charlotte:

Minutes: 40
FG: 3-7
FT: 2-2
Rebounds: 10 (3 Offensive)
Assists 6
Pts: 8
Steals 5

The stats are mind boggling. He scored eight points and completely dominated
the game on both ends, creating easy shots for his team, getting steals,
leading everyone in rebounds, and generally being in exactly the right place
at exactly the right time. After four games his name is now a cliche for the
game announcers: "Guess who made that steal/rebound/pass." In the Charlotte
game's final play, Griffin stripped Eddie Jones who was posting him up for
what would have been the winning score. Oh, and for the hell of it, he also
took Eddie off the dribble for a layup when the half court offense broke
down.

Griffin led all players in minutes played, playing forty minutes in this
game. That's seven more minutes than Paul Pierce and eleven more than
Antoine Walker. Remember, both of those guys play small forward as well as
they play anywhere else. The Celtics also have Walter McCarty (six 3's in
the Toronto game) and Eric Williams (20 points in 18 minutes in the
Washington game) who play the small forward slot. Griffin isn't playing
because coach Rick Pitino has no choice. Griffin is playing because he's
giving Pitino no other logical choice. Griffin's stats in the Charlotte game
is no fluke. He's done it in every game he's played. He's played against
Vince Carter, Eddie Jones, Jalen Rose and Mitch Ritchmond so far and has not
been outscored yet.

The Celtic's fans are now blessed. Get ready for endless Griffin highlights
on Sportscenter (CN: Please God, no. We like Vince Carter better). Not 360
tomahawk dunks or alley-oops or off balance three pointers. Griffin's
highlight reel will consist of wrestling rebounds from the tall people,
taking the ball away from shifty point guards, and making the pass which
leads to the pass which gets Antoine a dunk.

Adrian Griffin is as smart a basketball player as I've ever seen and I'm
absolutely loving the game right now. It's beautiful basketball. Not a New
York Knicks 73-67 thugfest, but the free flowing, intelligent game that
David Stern has been dreaming about. When they write the definitive book on
how to play basketball, put Adrian Griffin on the cover.

President and CEO, Adrian Griffin Fan Club,