Antoine

I don't care whether Antoine makes the All-Star team.
He's been there and done that; he now seems to realize
that the only goal is to win.

I'm not worried about the early turnovers.  I don't
care if he isn't averaging double-figure boards; all I
know is that the team outrebounded Messrs Davis,
Oakley & Co. (who killed them on the glass last year)
and fought Messrs Austin, Smith and Howard to a draw.
And THIS IS WITHOUT DANNY FORTSON.

I am THRILLED by the maturity and shot selection
Antoine has demonstrated over the first two games (I
believe the over the shoulder circus shot against
Toronto came with the shot clock expiring).  He does
not look like he's in shape yet, which is troublesome
-- my biggest worry is that he'll get hurt again.  But
he is playing within himself, letting the game come to
him and showing real offensive explosiveness when
needed.  I expect that his game will continue to
improve over the course of the season, whether or not
the stats reflect it.

I don't exactly pity Antoine -- he is, after all, a 23
year old who gets paid nearly $12 million a year to
play a game.  But I do not think he's deserved the
ridicule he's received in the media nor the boos he's
heard from the fans.  Now that he's shown signs of
turning a very important corner in his career, I hope
Celtic fans will make every effort to show him their
support and appreciation.  I, for one, believe that he
will be an integral part of at least one championship
team someday, and that ultimately #8 will join #s 3,
33, 32, 35 and 00 on that banner in the rafters.

Michael Gooen

=====