Re: looked too easy

>From: opi@unesco.org
>
>Alex Wang wrote:
>
> >  He's made some recent comments about how he trusted "his people" >  on
>Billups, thus deflecting the blame for that bad pick.
>
>Yeah that one I remember clearly. Naturally it's hard to verify if the
>above-statement is true, but one thing sure was that Pitino willingly gave
>up on a serviceable young starter (David Wesley) to spend one of our
>precious picks on a point guard he likened to Gary Payton (remember we had
>no one in the frontcourt except Walker and Ellison).
>
>When they read stuff like this, I wonder what goes through the heads of
>Pitino's staff and nominal general manager. On the one hand he must be a
>brilliant and energetic boss to work for. On the other hand his obvious
>faith in and use of his BS ability must at times make him seem
>insufferable.

Didn't he also relinquish credit for the Pierce pick by saying that he got
nervous, thinking the teams that passed on him must know something, so he
asked Lester Conner, who had played with PP in the summer, to make the call
(in his first week on the job, or something like that)?  Joe, you've said it
before, Pitino is almost too frank sometimes, and it is really pretty
obvious when he is BSing.  I'm surprised anyone ever falls for it.

Jim