Re: looked too easy

Alex Wang wrote:

>  He's made some recent comments about how he trusted "his people" on Billups,
> thus deflecting the
> blame for that bad pick.

Yeah that one I remember clearly. Naturally it's hard to verify if the
above-statement is true, but one thing sure was that Pitino willingly gave up on a
serviceable young starter (David Wesley) to spend one of our precious picks on a
point guard he likened to Gary Payton (remember we had no one in the frontcourt
except Walker and Ellison).

When they read stuff like this, I wonder what goes through the heads of Pitino's
staff and nominal general manager. On the one hand he must be a brilliant and
energetic boss to work for. On the other hand his obvious faith in and use of his
BS ability must at times make him seem insufferable. I wonder if his employees also
have private nicknames for him like "Spintino", "Pitinochio", or my current
favorite "Il Duce Bag".

Regarding Tim Duncan, I know Pitino didn't say anything as dramatic as the Celts
didn't necessarily like him, but I do recall something along the lines of "don't
expect Tim Duncan to be some kind of savior" in Boston (either before or after "Mo'
Lottery" Carr came home empty handed). Seemed like a prudent thing to say at the
time about any rookie, although the Spurs championship run suggests otherwise. Tim
Duncan pretty much exceeded even the most optimistic and knowledgeable
expectations.

Joe