Re: prediction

>From: Dan Forant Sr <dforant1@nycap.rr.com>
>
>Does anyone agree the Conference was tougher 2 seasons ago? I don't see it.
>
>At 08:26 AM 11/1/99 -0800, you wrote:
> >
> >for those of you predicting 36 wins--or a number very
> >close to that one--i have a simple question for
> >you...you think this team is only as good as the one
> >that pitino inherited two years ago?  after all, i'm
> >sure you know that that team won 36 against a
> >considerably tougher conference...with mccarty
> >starting at 3, declerq at 5, and a hybrid rook playing
> >point...and no bench whatsoever.

I agree with the original post.  Not so much about the conference, although
off the top of my head Miami, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Orlando and Indiana
are probably all weaker than they were two years ago.  New York ran through
the conference in the playoffs, but they are probably weaker than two years
ago too.  Certainly Philly and Charlotte have improved, but overall I would
say the conference is weaker.

The main point of the post seems to be, though, that the Celtics have
dramatically improved themselves, and I think that is indisputable.  Take
the starters, Kenny vs Chauncey, Pierce vs Mercer, V vs Ringo, either
Fortson or E Williams vs McCarty, Antoine vs Antoine.  Keep going down the
bench.  Battie vs Knight, Cheaney vs Bowen, Griffin vs Minor, Dana has
certainly improved as a point guard, Turner should be better than Edny,
McCarty moves to the bench with either Fortson or Williams instead of guys
like Dontae' Jones and John Thomas for Rick's sake.  The talent on this team
is light years ahead of the 98 Celtics.  Also, there is no reason to think
the chemistry will not be at least as good as 98.  Some will say Kenny is no
better than Chauncey, we'll see.  My biggest question is will Antoine be
even close to what he was that year, which was pretty awesome.  He carried
that team to 36 wins almost on his own.  Think about this, even with what
seems like two to three times the talent level of the 98 team, people are
projecting this team as winning fewer games.  That should make everyone
appreciate just what Antoine did and why he was given the kind of contract
he was coming off that season.  The question now is, can he be that dominant
within the context of a better team?

I think Pitino needs to get his role figured out, and quickly.  He will
definitely need to score a lot.  Getting rid of Mercer guaranteed that.
Now, in addition to that, is he supposed to be passing like Pippen, or
rebounding like Malone?  I say, why can't it be both?  He's got a
superstar's contract, not just an all-star's, because he showed he could
carry a poor team to 36 wins.  Now the team's better he's supposed to carry
them into the playoffs and beyond.  Pitino has staked his entire reputation
on Antoine and, while I am a FOT (fan of 'Toine), if I were him I'd be
nervous.

So, predictions eh?  Well, since I claim to be a FOT I have to back that up
with an optimistic prediction, which is......46 wins, 7th seed and at least
one series win.  Hey, I'd rather be wrong by being too optimistic than
predict a flop and have to live with that.

Jim