eastern previews

As the Celtics columnist for some rival sites to this one, I am flabbergasted by the way the Celtics have been underrated.  But only slightly.  Even more amazing to me is the confidence with which basketball savants have attempted to sort out the order of finish in a hopelessly jumbled eastern conference.  I think that the following is about all you can say about the teams in the east:

1.  Veteran behemoths

These are the teams that got their head of steam up sometime in the Bush administration, and are only now grinding to a halt.  Their great mass (and reputations among referees) keeps them plowing into the playoffs each year, however, and they should be expected to top the list of this year's weak conference.

INDIANA
After the beating the Pacers took from the knicks, and the unconscionable choke job pulled by Reggie Miller, Indiana feels they have something to prove.  And indeed they do.  But they never really had much to bring, and I think they have even less this year.  If Smits' feet stay healthy, they may well win the east.

NEW YORK

If Patrick changes his game, and becomes a focal point on defense and more of a passer on offense, the Knicks should win the conference -- and intelligent snails will take control of a major asian nation.

CHARLOTTE

My pick to win the conference this year.  They look good, but there is the DC factor.

2.  Ticking Bombs
These are good teams which may blow up at any time in the good sense of breaking through and winning 45+ games this season and advancing in the playoffs.  I know, I know, Philadelphia did it last year, but they haven't proved anything yet.

PHILADELPHIA

The best guard in the league will win a lot of games for Philadelphia, but Larry Hughes has to come alive and accept his role.  Ratliff needs to play the kind of defense he did last year, but with the new rules, Alan should run wild.

BOSTON

The Celtics aren't scaring anyone this year, but they should.  They have two of the best young players in the NBA in Pierce and Walker, and both will be at the top of their games this year.  Tony Battie provides Camby/Ratliff style speed and shotblocking, and Danny Ferry will hang out down low gathering in rebounds, handing out punishment, and not calling for the ball -- call him the anti-Mercer.  Vitaly Potapenko will bruise the Oakleys and and Ewings of the world too.  The bench is way deep.  The preseason hasn't been too promising, though.

TORONTO

Should be really dangerous.  This is the breakthrough team this year, although I like the Celtics chances better in the long term.  (How much better is Carter going to get?  Where will Willis and Oakley be in two years?)  But by adding yet another fast big veteran like Antonio Davis while the other big men are still effective, the team makes itself even stronger.  Vince Carter is the real deal, but he could use some scoring help.  Now I see where they are looking to trade Doug Christie, so that may arrive.  Tracy McGrady should be better this year.  Toronto is a pretty good team.

3.  The Mighty Mediocrities

These are the teams which are routinely accorded the third through seventh playoff spots because of a single big name player or coach, or really, because the sportswriter is too lazy to bother thinking about it.  None of these teams is guaranteed even so much as a playoff spot.

NEW JERSEY

A crippled center; the second coming of Kiki Vandeweigh; a talented guard who is starting his year out by refusing to play on what he insists is a tender knee:  what does that spell?  This team will only win as many games as Stephon Marbury wins for them, which will in turn cause bad chemistry and numerous losses.  Or they could be good.

ATLANTA

Will always be tough as long as they have Mutumbo, but the trade of Steve Smith will be a costly one from the point of view of team play and chemistry. Rider is a cancer and always has been; the team wasn't that great even last year.  Mookie's defense was a huge key, and now that's gone.  Nothing much doing here, unless Lenny can do his greatest coaching job.

MILWAUKEE

I don't see anything impressive here.  Do you?

DETROIT

Grant and his supporting cast still.  Secret weapon Jerome Williams will cause some havoc -- I see him as this year's Bo Outlaw.

CLEVELAND

Fatter-than-fat Shawn Kemp is going to be the center of a running team?  This team doesn't impress me at all.  Kemp is still money on the block, and Miller should be a good point, but he's a rookie and there isn't much personnell beyond that.  Every team says they are going to run.  You need the guys to do it.  Why they traded Derek Anderson is beyond me.  I don't build teams on injured white big men, either.

4.  Lottery Tickets

CHICAGO

Amazing the abuse these fans will take.  "Fat Bastard" does it again.

ORLANDO

Should win some games.  Will play with the special elan and efficiency which is born of low expectations and team chemistry.  I will root for them to beat better teams all year.

WIZARDS

Mitch Richmond is still dangerous, but clearly dialing it in at this point.  It's all about the Benjamins for most of the wizards, and Ike Austin is not really a center who is going to hurt any good teams.  I don't like anything about this team, and am constantly amazed that people pick them to go places.  Juwan Howard still can't guard his own shadow.