Re: Chicago wins lottery - seems awfully fishy

In message <001b01bea62a$1d22a6c0$bc6864c0@jeff-b>, "Shawn Roth" said:
> One problem though.  The Celtics were a long way from a championship.  The
> Bulls have just won 6.  Also, as noted on the Jim Rome show, the Bricks
> getting the #1 to pick Ewing was a bit fishy.  The NBA fixes its lottery
> when it works for the NBA.  It does no good for the NBA to have all the
> small market teams on the up, and the large market teams crapping in their
> respective mess kits.  Come on, think of this like any other business,
> bigger is better.

I don't believe the lottery is fixed.  The other teams have witnesses at the
drawings, and one of the losers would be screaming to high heaven if they got
shafted.

> Also, whatever happened to the NBA doing the lottery with Ping Pong
> balls...now they do it in some back room and have the envelopes delivered by
> Cousin Vine......WEIRD!

It has to do with drama.  When they went to the weighted lottery, the winning
combination comes up first and everyone would know who got the first pick
right away.  That would spoil the suspense and might cost in the ratings.
--
Jim McMaster
mailto:mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com