Re: Bird leaving

In a message dated 5/17/99 11:53:38 AM Central Daylight Time,
dforant1@nycap.rr.com writes:

> I see the same print rumors. What's up with the Bird Man. Is he getting
>  soft?
[snip]
   This is an interesting item.  Maybe he sees himself as good "veterans'
coach" and a lousy "rookie coach" and doesn't want to supervise a rebuilding
phase.  Maybe he's just stressed out.  The job of being an NBA coach does
look like one that demands a certain degree of manic personality.  I doubt
that anyone will ever accuse our Ricktator of being a well-rounded
personality type.  I remember an SI article on him about four years back that
made me sort of scared by the guy.

>  I like upsets when not rooting for the Celts, so here's hoping Philly sends
>  the Pacers packing.

    I go back far enough (as do most of you) to know there are TWO
archenemies in CelticLand:  the Fakers and Philly.  Remember Andrew Toney?
Right up there with Bucky Dent in Boston sports infamy.  I will NEVER root
for Philly unless it's a series against the Lakers, and even then, I'd
probably hide in a cave for the time it took to play the games.  AND I can't
bring myself to root against Bird (except against the Cs.)
-- Doug