I'm going all gooey now.

You know, sometimes during my more sanguine moments, early in the morning,
drinking coffee, watching the sun come up, I actually feel sorry for Rick.
The guys in a tough spot, because....

>Bulpett believes that: "the Celtics should lean on standing pat and let
>their people develop. "......

and he just might be right. But can Pitino afford to take that chance? I
think his "guarantee" of a playoff appearance means he needs to look at his
roster at the beginning of next year and see a playoff slam dunk. No if,
ands, or buts. No maybes. I don't think he goes into next year with the
current group of players without some doubts. Especially after seeing the
Sixers whip Orlando.

>But, should they move either Walker or Mercer (Ray's note: Easier to
>move
>Mercer who's non-BSC until he's re-signed). Bulpett says: "the club most
>certainly need to get special talent in return."

And given the above, I think Pitino is dealing from a position of weakness.
Everybody knows he "has" to make a move. But who knows. During my more
sanguine moments, VP and Battie are nothing but upside moves. Absolute
steals. Maybe Pitino can pull it off. Also, during my more sanguine
moments...I think that this team has way too much offensive talent to fail
for long, and way too much athletic ability to be bad defenders. I don't
expect Walker to have another miserable year. As I posted earlier, Michael
Finley stunk it up for most of this year. Anybody think that's going to
happen again? Mercer...he's young and can score, and is there any reason he
"can't" be a terror at the defensive end? If Isaiah Rider can do it. Pierce
is a stud. I don't see why Pierce can't become the Celtics' version of
Finley and swing back and forth between the 2 and 3 with Mercer coming off
the bench. Walker and Battie starting at the forwards with Walker moving
between 3 and 4...Battie backing up VP. Christ, I'm probably hallucinating.

>Also, toss
>into
>the fact that Pitino's main pal, Jersey Red said in last week's column,
>changes are coming.  So, I wouldn't place a lot of faith into the C's
>standing pat...

Jersey who?

>Pat Riley's willing to move everyon. on the Heat, except Mourning.

Stay away from The Son of Satan, Rick.

Paul M.