Re: Mercer/Battie

I am still not certain what you are suggesting. You say that Walker is
not worth the max and neither is Mercer. Now, if you don't pay Walker
the max, he leaves. I assume that you would have preferred to trade him
rather than "overpay" him. But if Mercer, who you agree is not worth
the max, demands the max, you would want to keep him? It doesn't make
sense to me. Or are you saying that you would rather wait a year on
Mercer and let him test free agency? The problem with this is, you either
end up overpaying him to outbid some other team, or having him walk away
for nothing.

The difference between Walker and Mercer in my opinion is that Walker is
definitely worth the max whereas Mercer is clearly not. Signing Walker
to his extension is a no-brainer, because it is not "based on this past
year." It's based on his future performance which you can predict based
on his current skills and past performance, not only over the last year
but over his career. Based on that, it's easy. Most fans seem to have a
memory that is only as long as the last season (which is why coaches get
crucified as soon as a team slips).

As you have said, Mercer is not worth the max nor has he had the time
to prove anything. So why do you necessarily want to keep him? The smart
move is to sign him for a contract that reflects his inexperience and
skills. If he won't take that contract, you trade him. Another year is
not going to tell Pitino something new about Mercer that'll convince him
to pay him or not. But it risks losing a top asset for nothing, especially
since he'll probably be pissed at not getting an extension.

Alex