Re: Kenny Says He's An Underachiever

> Kenny is fully capable of averaging 13ppg and 9 apg like Tiny did after
> Bird arrived in Boston. In the final analysis, every other NBA fan whines
> about their team's worthless point guard.

This is absolutely correct. I was reading the Sonics team report on
Sporting News (yeah, procrastination) and the writer was criticizing
Gary Payton's tendency to take 3-pointers on the break (not to mention
his bad attitude). I mean, the guy only creates about 60% of their
offense and is their best defender, and this writer is ripping him.

Bob Cousy was talking about how a more transition oriented game would
suit Kenny more. His talents are not suited to the "dribble for a while
while Mercer runs off screens" halfcourt offense. I think a powerful
inside player to work with (off the pick and roll and as a target during
penetration) would help him. (Potapenko's actually a good start in this
direction).

Beyond what Joe's listed below, Kenny also has the ability to get into
the lane whenever he wants which is a nice ability to have when the rest
of the offense is totally inept or when the shot clock runs out. And he
hasn't really been so much of a shoot first point guard in that he's the
fourth leading shot taker on the team. He's not a Marbury or Payton (or
even Kidd now that he has a shot). And in the stretch right before he
was injured, he was developing a game where he mostly shot off other
people's passes.

My problem with him is that he was playing lazy in general; walking the
ball up, taking himself out of the offense by standing around once he
made his pass, and going for dumb reach-ins instead of defending when
he gets tired.

Alex